No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano? Corroso? Signed Decanter with Fab Colours!  (Read 6720 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Murano? Corroso? Signed Decanter with Fab Colours!
« on: April 19, 2006, 10:05:43 PM »
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help ID the following decanter.

It has superb primary colours: yellow body, blue ring top, red stopper that combine so well 8)  The outer of the decanter might be a light corroso finish that I've tried photographing with backlighting, although I think the red stopper is simply frosted.

Lovely modern piece featuring a flat ground & polished base wit ha signature that reads "franco" or "flavio" and "Uleutt"??? Hopefully identifiable firstly by the shape! :wink:

:shock: click to zoom :shock:
:

Additional photos:
Close Up of Top
Corroso Finish?
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 11:41:07 PM »
Hi David
Interesting piece...
I looked at this and pondered........ and hoped someone else would respond !!
I have the strongest feeling I have seen this style somewhere - what books have you looked in so far ?

The corroso looks very "neat"  :roll:

Could the second word be Murano in very bad handwriting ?
Pete

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 08:18:39 AM »
Hi Peter,

I thought Ivo might be interested, which is why I also posted it in the general Glass section – I'm not 100% sure it is Murano.

None of the general glass books I have contain anything, and I don't have any specific Murano collecting books, apart from one small one detailing the history of the island.

If not corroso, then could it be another effect? Pulegoso? However, I thought this was always an internal 'froth' and not an external finish. Doesn't quite look regular enough to be frosted though.

It's also quite a heavy and tall item: 10" to the top of the stopper and about 1kg.

I don't think the second word is 'Murano', but not a bad guess. Really need Paul, Javier (where is he?), Laura, et al to comment, I suppose.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 08:48:57 AM »
maybe the second word is Mdina ort Mtarfa?

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 09:57:18 AM »
Thanks Ivo: I did actually ponder that myself, but can't quite reconcile myself to it. Also, the whole thing just doesn't feel 'Maltese' but I'll contact Sue and see if she's got any ideas.

Have you any thoughts on the finish? I seem to remember an earlier thread where you mentioned that either pulegoso (or was it corroso?) was your favourite effect! :)
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 04:21:03 PM »
Tough one. Certainly contemporary. Doesn't scream "Murano" to me, but it's possible.  My best guess would be American, given the signature.

It is hard to see the treatment in the photo, but it looks like simple frosted glass to my eye.  

'pulegoso' means frothy air bubbles.  'Corroso' would have a distinct acid-etched appearance.

Laura

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 05:31:08 PM »
Hi Laura,

Thanks for your input. Very difficult to photo but being extremely myopic I can see fantastic detail close up :D

The effect is not as regular as you'd expect with frosting and when lit well there can be seen a mass of tiny air bubbles. I've attached two more extreme close-ups that hopefully show the effect in far greater detail. Worth looking at the one of the top ring as it shows an uneven 'unfrosted' area – perhaps where a liquid was used?

Whatever it is, I really like the glorious contrast of colours, the shape and the lovely silky feel to the glass!

CLOSE UP 1 :: CLOSE UP 2
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 05:52:16 PM »
I don't know how that affect was achived.  The one Italian company I know who does items kind of like these is Moretti, but the sig is wrong for them.  I've seen similar shapes from Spain, but again, the sig makes me think American.

A mystery for sure.

You might want to post it to the glass board at ebay. They have more posters there, and it might ring a bell with someone.

Laura

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 08:33:40 AM »
:D:D:D

Hello, David's asked me to put a bit in here! I did see this earlier, I did see the signature, I did think it looks a bit like Mdina signatures can look, but I do not think it reads Mdina, I've not seen this exact squiggle before, and I don't think it's a Mtarfa squiggle either. I didn't comment before because I didn't think I had anything to add, but now the Maltese names have been suggested, I think they should be discounted. Sorry.

The piece just does not say "Mdina" to me at all. Not a whisper. I do like it though.

BUT:- I don't know what they're currently doing.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 06:16:28 PM »
You might want to post it to the glass board at ebay.

Laura, I'm not sure where these groups are, but I posted a message on an eBay group – the .co.uk side.

Sue, thanks for your input. I can't help feeling I've seen a signature like this before, but I can't remember where. I still think the first squiggle is either Flavio or Franco. I wonder if Paul knows?
David
► Chance Additions ◄

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand