No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Thomas Kidd Glass Plates  (Read 2780 times)

Offline neilh

• Members
Thomas Kidd Glass Plates
« on: February 13, 2013, 07:36:15 PM »
I was sent some interesting photos today of Queen Victoria plates by Thomas Kidd of Ancoats. Identification comes from said plate being shown on a well known Thomas Kidd advertisement dating to 1897.

The same source sent in another photo showing a small plate celebrating the opening of the Manchester Ship Canal in 1894. One of these sits in the Manchester Art Gallery without an attribution, but viewing these plates together, I think we can be pretty confident Thomas Kidd was the maker. The one in the Art Gallery was of pretty scabby quality so I always suspected Thomas Kidd and their penny glassware...  have a look at the images I have added to the bottom of the webpage below and see if you agree!

https://sites.google.com/site/molwebbhistory/Home/registered-designs/minor-makers-unregistered-pressed-glass

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Thomas Kidd Glass Plates
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 10:00:26 PM »
Seems pretty likely to me

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 03:53:08 PM »
Neil

Another Thomas Kidd glass plate in amber made for the Silver Wedding of the Prince & Princess of Wales 1888.

Roy

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 07:59:07 PM »
Thanks Roy... how was this identified as Thomas Kidd? Is it in one of their Pottery Gazette adverts?

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 08:12:52 PM »
Neil its illustrated in Raymond Slack's book English Pressed Glass 1830-1900.

Roy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand