No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Milk glass spill vase for ID. modern ?  (Read 870 times)

Offline malcmat

• Members
    • cheshire
Milk glass spill vase for ID. modern ?
« on: September 28, 2019, 04:15:02 PM »
Milk glass spill vase with wavey rim and snapped off pontil mark for ID .
7cm dia x 8.5cm tall with base ware.
many thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Milk glass spill vase for ID. modern ?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 06:11:55 PM »
I'd go with late Victorian early 20th century Bohemian, or there about  ::) ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline malcmat

• Members
    • cheshire
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 06:23:41 PM »
Many thanks Keith

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 06:43:56 PM »
 ;D I no longer have Gulliver Keith  -  does he show similar shapes as being for spill vases  -  I'd thought this possibly shortish for a spill vase, though obviously it will hold spills.               As kids we used to make them using the carboard centre from a toilet roll - cover in coloured crepe paper - and give to Grandad at Christmas.
I found a very similar shape recently - with that turned up back rim - and I thought a jip piece  -  what do you think.           How about a posy vase?

Not really trying to be contentious, but do we think this really is milk glass, or might it be opaque white glass  -  do I remember something about the edges of milk glass showing a glow/fire?
We once had many chats about milk glass, but as a subject it seems to have gone very quiet in recent times.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 09:33:35 PM »
regret to say the very few pieces of m.g. I once owned, have now gone, so will have to buy one or two examples as a reference guide.       The memorable makers were States factories - Fenton and Westmoreland for example - though many others that side produced the stuff.         I did once have a book on m.g. but that went too - am sure it was made here as well.           I think it's true of most pieces/colours that there's a noticeable translucent appearance with an underlying milky or opalescent presence, and although there are collectors who include opaque Sowerby colours under this heading, there is a difference between their Vitro-Porcelain and true milk glass.                There was a product from Sowerby called 'Blance-de-lait' which, despite the name, isn't milk glass either.
In view of the silence, perhaps no one here collects the stuff.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 11:13:06 PM »
I'd go with posy vase, here's one of a pair we have.. ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 07:47:54 AM »
think I'd agree Keith  -  if you look at the Victorian Sowerby spill vases, they're smaller and far less chunky.              This link is for something similar  -  insofar as the rim on one side is turned up and with a generally similar shape - which I found quite recently.

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=68653.0;attach=227991

correction- can't seem to spell …….    Soweby's product was Blanc-de-Lait.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand