No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Green vase - unknown maker  (Read 4960 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Green vase - unknown maker
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 05:35:48 PM »
You could be right, I don't remember now............I thought that a characteristic of the Jacobean pattern was that the lenses graduated more uniformly in size, and I didn't think that green was one of the known colours...........clear, amber, blue, rose...
This doesn't look like Jacobean to me..........and I've been through the Markbheinn catalogue and the Sklo Union CD, and it doesn't show up in those.
But who knows........ :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 02:53:57 PM »
Hi
A long shot but maybe Walther Cumberland?
Cheers Nige
"Ive had a wonderful evening.....unfortunately this wasnt it!"  Groucho Marx

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 03:07:49 PM »
still the difficulty, I think, with matching those separate collars near the base :)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 09:48:40 PM »
Pamela's master catalogues

I've spent a few hours looking through, however not able to make a match.  I'm still going through it though as I was unaware of this site.

unable to say - but the uranium and the marigold are definitely from the same maker

I agree Ivo and probably mine too.  It would be great if I could find who actually made the vase.  I've not really had any interest in green vases, but for some reason this vase stood out from all the other glass pieces I saw on the day of purchase.

at the risk of setting myself up to be shot down in flames, (again - lol) wasn't it decided on here some time ago that this pattern was Jacobean and there was a Clayton Meyers / Davidson / J Inwald connection?

I seem to remember the three hexangonal ring collars were an ident marker and also the base finish varied between Davidson & Inwald pieces?

>> off to try and track down the old thread>>

Mel

With ref. to Inwald and Davidson pieces.   I must say, I first thought it might be a Davidson Glass as some of the pieces I've seen do bare a small percentage in the actual design shape.   Did you have much luck in tracking down the old thread?

Hi
A long shot but maybe Walther Cumberland?
Cheers Nige

Currently looking through the Walther Cumberland patterns. Will be kept informed if I find anything.

Some of the pieces i've seen, based on your info.   appear that the same designs were used when referring to the rectangular optical lenses it seems. 

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 10:16:56 PM »
an id is made all the more difficult in view of the very common general shape and design that this piece shares with hordes of other vases - a quick look through Pamela's catalogues and the Czech designs shows this to be very true.      However, fingers crossed that you succeed. :)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 09:35:19 PM »
Cheers for that!  I just find it odd that I can't find another with the three hexagonal ribs, even one with a different colour.  I've not had much luck in the walther Cumberland designs either.

bfg

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 10:58:01 PM »
hi otis, ive got a couple of the green ones and an amber one I think, lurking around here some place. Simba has a pink one in her glass gallery too, last page. (don't know where I stand on linking?)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 09:10:25 PM »
.....and do they have the three hexagonal ribs?  It would be great if you could post some pics.   I have not found any that are identical to this posted online during my research.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 10:06:58 PM »
I hate to seem pessimistic, but do we have provenance for this attribution  -  has Glen verified this, or is it in a catalogue somewhere  -  to me the lenses still don't appear to be the usual 'Jacobean' shape  -  and, I could easily be wrong, but is green a known 'Jacobean' colour?
I'd like to think we've solved this one - so just being a little cautious, and hope Simba is able to help. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand