No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Green vase - unknown maker  (Read 5033 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Green vase - unknown maker
« on: February 14, 2013, 01:32:04 AM »
H!, having trouble trying to identify this pressed vase.  Height 21.5cm   I managed to pull up various  images on the google site over the weekend, but still unable to identify the maker and period.    I'm not sure whether it is modern or a 60's piece.    I appreciate any help you can provide.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Green vase - unknown maker
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 07:12:00 AM »
A maker doesn't spring to mind but datewise it's somewhere from 1930s to 1960s. Is it uranium glass? have you looked though http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/index2.html

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 09:39:50 AM »
I've had a quick look in 'Vases'  -  a not uncommon general shape - but wasn't aware of seeing it.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 11:09:57 AM »

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 02:12:04 PM »
The heights don't seem to agree  -  21.5 cms is a little shy of 8.5" - not the 6" or 10" on the carnival piece.

On the green example there are three very distinct and separate hexagonal collars just up from the base  -  the carnival vase appears to have really only one collar.

Could be my eyes, but the green vase seems to have rectangular lenses, whereas the other one doesn't :)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 03:32:17 PM »
green is 16 cm, marigold is 20 cm  -  definitely not inch sizes.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 03:32:26 AM »
Is it uranium glass? have you looked though http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/index2.html

Hi Christine,   Definately not uranium.   With ref. to the Pressglas site that I was totally unaware of, and thanks for that,  the only one that has any close resemblance is the vase quarter of the way down the page, the 'Cumberland Vase'. 

I've had a quick look in 'Vases'  -  a not uncommon general shape - but wasn't aware of seeing it.

Thanks for your efforts anyway.  I thought I should mention if not able to identify in the pictures.  'The rectangular lenses' 3rd and 4th layer are concaved.  I don't know if this is of any help, but thought I would mention it anyway.

isn't it this one?
http://www.ddoty.com/kingjames.html

Hi Ivo, I'm not sure if you were asking me that question.  If so, it definately is not a king james.  The design looks totally different to me.

The height of the vase posted is definately 21.5cm, which is near enough  8 1/2".  The open area of the vase is 8.7cm approx.  and the base, corners to corners, varies slightly in distance, that is..........8.8cm,  9cm and 8.7cm.  This is just an approximation.  I hope I've explained this o.k.  With reference to the green vase you have posted.  Can  you tell me if the stem has three hexagonal ribs,  I am unable to identify this in your pictures?   

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 09:10:42 AM »
if you haven't yet looked at Pamela's master catalogues, and you have a few hours to spare ;D...... http://www.glas-musterbuch.de/

Best of luck.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 09:23:21 AM »
unable to say - but the uranium and the marigold are definitely from the same maker, the design is identical and the sizes are metric.

bfg

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 04:53:10 PM »
at the risk of setting myself up to be shot down in flames, (again - lol) wasn't it decided on here some time ago that this pattern was Jacobean and there was a Clayton Meyers / Davidson / J Inwald connection?

I seem to remember the three hexangonal ring collars were an ident marker and also the base finish varied between Davidson & Inwald pieces?

>> off to try and track down the old thread>>

Mel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand