No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: HG Richardson hyacinth/bulb vase RD 53483, registered 30 July 1886  (Read 2139 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Recently bought from eBay, where it was described as a base for an oil lamp. The underside of the base bears the raised legend Rd. 53483, a design registered to HG Richardson, Wordsley Flint Glass Works, Stourbridge, on 30 July 1886.

According Jenny Thompson’s “The Identification of English Pressed Glass 1842-1908”, page 136: “Design for a hyacinth glass made with two projections on the upper or cup part and having an indentation on the upper part of the body to carry and keep in position a stick or other support to the plant.”

Measures 10cm tall, with the cup rim diameter 7.3cm, and the main part of the bowl with a maximum diameter of 11.6cm. Presumably mould blown in clear glass, with a diamond quilted texture to both interior and exterior. A very stable design. Has a nice ‘ring’ to it when struck.

The bottom half of the bowl interior is slightly milky, so it would appear to have actually been used for forcing bulbs, or perhaps simply as a vase.

I have already had a series of informative exchanges with Patricia Cocorris (author of “The Curious History of the Bulb Vase”) who was aware of the vase design. Indeed, she tells me that the novelty in the design registration is in the means of providing a support for the stick rather than the overall shape or decoration of the glass itself, and she shows the design registration drawing for RD 53483 on page 73 of her magnificent tome. There is also a photograph of a cobalt blue version of the vase on page 122 showing the stick appropriately attached.

I was also quite gratified to read on page 122 that “although the pattern books show a lot of variation for this bulb vase, both in colour and technique, VERY FEW HAVE EVER BEEN SEEN” [my capitals].

‘My’ Richardson hyacinth vase is now wending its way to Patricia in Holland, and I have already received a signed copy of her beautifully-produced and immaculately- researched book in exchange.

From henceforth I shall look at bulb vases with the scales hopefully having fallen from my untutored eyes, and who knows what previously-unheralded treasures may now clamour for my humble attention. Thank you, Patricia.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Re: HG Richardson hyacinth/bulb vase RD 53483, registered 30 July 1886
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 06:27:08 PM »
Sorry Patricia ...  Coccoris (strict memo to myself  - remember, with 3 'c''s, and 1 'r') [typo for attention of moderator, please].

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 09:00:22 PM »
Nice one. Unfortunately hyacinth vases get addictive. Then there are the bulbs to put on them (the last one of this year's crop of 10,  is just about to wend it's way to the compost bin). I think I've just bought another vase, or rather I've bought it and think it's a hyacinth vase! And my display space for them is full...

Offline Patricia

• Author
  • Members
    • The Curious History of the Bulb Vase
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 09:14:35 PM »
Nah Christine, never full.
There's always place for another, and another, and another...

Fred, I'll be waiting on my doorstep for that postman every day.

And people wanting to read more on the subject should have a look at Homes & Antiques magazine in the shops now.

Patricia

Patricia
► The Curious History of the Bulb Vase ◄
 A new book by Patricia Coccoris

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 09:18:14 PM »
Nah Christine, never full.
It is when you already have a large collection of other collections!!

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 10:20:04 AM »
Patricia has taken safe receipt of the bulb vase, and restored in to its proper status by cleaning it thoroughly and tying on a support stick as in the registration representation. Finally, she has sent a couple of photos to share showing the vase fulfilling its destiny complete with beautiful flowering hyacinth correctly supported by the stick - the second photo with a salutory lesson as to what can happen if a hyacinth is grown in a similar vase without support.

Thank you, Patricia

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 01:14:19 PM »
Very nice to see it in action. But if you want to see what is possible, here's something Patricia has grown that is completely different!
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 09:28:45 PM »
Now an olive green example with a nice clear raised RD number. Not sure how it reacts to UV light.

(Permission for the re-use of these images on GMB granted by crystal-blue-eyes).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand