Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass Paperweights

What do we call this millefiori paperweight style ...

(1/2) > >>

...where the murrines are not encased in glass but are on the surface like this one.

I bought this in a local auction house.  Is it Murano?  Age?  I want to gift to someone that already has a few Murano millefiori pieces so would like to know if that's what it is first.

It's approx 2-3/4" wide and 2-1/4" tall.


Also modern Chinese I think

If it is, they really, really really are improving. I think it's rather lovely... for a pwt.
(but that's me not being a pwt afficionado)

But as to what is is called, I'm clueless. "Surface decorated", which applies to uncased vases etc. doen't quite seem right.

Murrine? (Mhurrine?) - There's a name for the Venetian vases made entirely from a jigsaw of canes in the surface...


--- Quote from: chopin-liszt on February 14, 2013, 07:03:32 PM --- :o
If it is, they really, really really are improving.

--- End quote ---

Yes, it's very nice in person.   I am still doubtful this one is Chinese.   But I think I was wrong once ;D

I recognise some of these canes in the Effetre catalogue - which would make at least the canes Murano - but they are exported world wide.

It is actually a solid glass paperweight (deserving this name)? I own a couple of hollow glass balls plus several miniature bottles/vases - which I attribute to Livio Campanella.

WARNING: my virus software tells me that the page is infected with "JS/Agent.480593"  .... don't click on the link unless you are sure your antivirus software is up-to-date!


[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version