No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Would you call this lower quality millefiori? ID = Modern Chinese  (Read 1470 times)

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
I really should clean my eye glasses I think.  This was an auction buy.  Looking at it now, seeing the bubbles and overall 'blandness' of it I'm thinking the auctioneer got the better deal.  Wouldn't hurt my feelings if someone told me this was Whitefriars or Murano but I'm guessing it is more recent Chinese in origin?

Measures 2-3/4" wide, 2-1/2" tall.

Thanks,
Pithy sig withheld

Site in progress: http://www.vintagepursuits.com/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Would you call this lower quality millefiori?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 06:56:04 PM »
Look Chinese to me.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 06:58:57 PM »
Me too. The 3rd pic, with the lengths of the canes showing is an absolute clincher.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 08:04:40 PM »
Thank you both.  That's enough confirmation for me.   Now just to figure out a way to convince my wife it was her hand that went up during the auction LOL,  ;D
Pithy sig withheld

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 12:45:12 PM »
Do you like it?
Chinese weights do have appeal and a collector base.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 08:35:06 PM »

I agree - it is Chinese, and fairly modern.  And I agree about collector appeal: we have around 50 Chinese Whites, and another 50 or so millefiori and lampwork examples, mainly pre-1950. It is interesting to note that Larry Selman said some time ago that some US dealers collected Chinese paperweights for their private collections.

There are some paperweight collectors who consider any Chinese paperweight whatsoever the lowest form of product, but I think that reflects their ignorance and (political) prejudice.  Yes - there are some very modest Chinese copies of classical paperweights, and huge volumes of modern, very simple pieces made for export (and sometimes marketed as Murano), but if you look at the wide range of Chinese paperweights with an open mind, you will find in there some skilfully made and original pieces.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
Re: Would you call this lower quality millefiori? ID = Modern Chinese
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 03:12:57 AM »
Do you like it?
Chinese weights do have appeal and a collector base.

In this case it's more disappointment in my own paying attention.   There was a table of about 15 pwts, two of which I was interested in.  I bought this one by mistake from across the room thinking it was one of the ones I wanted.   I got the first one I wanted and someone else got the second one I wanted.   I'm not really fond of it so it will probably get traded off instead of adding to my small collection.

Regarding Chinese paperweights and glass in general...  I've seen some beautiful work recently.  Many I have been surprised to turn over to find a 'Made in China' sticker.   Somewhere this story was related to me. --  For years and years China mass produced really inferior violins, but as time went along they started producing better and taking more market in student instruments.  After year and years some really good craftsmen were being developed and learning from the best outside China.  Now China is producing the vast majority of violins sold today and have makers capable of top quality as well.  --  In a way I think this parallels their glass work;  there is still a lot that is average, bland, and lacking any artfulness but there is a growing body of high quality beautifully made glass.   

Alan, I will have to look more into some of the older glass from China.  I must admit it's not something I've considered before.
Pithy sig withheld

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand