No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: I think its known as satin glass but havent a clue who made it, Anyone?  (Read 1354 times)

Offline glasskillian

• Members
    • england
I recently purchased this for little vase for a small price at a local seconds  shop as it was in nice un-chipped condition and i liked the decoration and colour mix sought of cranberry fading out, It measures 53/4" high.
The base has lots of wear and a nicely polished shallow pontil scar and the remnants of a label well just some small bits of black paper really! Ive looked around but havent found the same article although im thinking this satin might be a hard one to be certain with i thought id share my new piece of glass thanks :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Online Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: I think its known as satin glass but havent a clue who made it, Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 03:42:40 PM »
It's what's known as satin air trap glass and was made by numerous makers late 19th/early 20th century in a range of countries. (Satin glass is just another name for frosted glass)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glasskillian

• Members
    • england
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 10:15:10 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up for me lustrousstone seems to be a very well made piece of fairly thick glass upto now ive seen similar vases described as being made by either webb or phoenix glass works and i think the pattern of the airtrap is known as  moire air trap pattern which may or may not be a rarer type of decoration thanks for looking

Online Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 10:30:54 AM »
Webb is an overused attribution, so be careful!! Air trap was also made in Bohemia

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 05:27:09 PM »
As Christine says, made in many countries.  Also made in the States I think by Mount Washington and probably others, and referred to as MOP or mother of pearl Satin glass I think over there - which might help with searches.
And produced in Italy later I think possibly 50's?
m

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 03:15:40 PM »
The spot pattern shown (square within square) has been generically named 'Harlequin' pattern and is also known in opalescent (non-air-trapped) pieces.  I have never seen the harlequin pattern in air-trap.  It is not US made.  The harlequin pattern in opalescent was made by one of the Bohemian makers.  Possibly Harrach? for the opalescent pieces, but I have no clue if Harrach made air trap pieces.

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 04:53:31 PM »
You may wish to look at Phoenix Art Glass, Leland Marple, 2004, Schiffer Books, Pg. 71, Plate 177. This diamond within a diamond pattern appeared in the May 1885 issue of Crockery & Glass Journal in the form of a flower basket which is identical to pattern on the pitcher shown in the Phoenix book. Phoenix was located in Phillipsburg (now called Monaca, PA) & it is generally accepted that this pattern in this MOP configuration is Phoenix & your piece bears a strong resemblance to the pattern, however I would recommend the compare the two side by side & make your own conclusion.  Note that I would not make this recommendation on most pieces of this pattern, only the MOP configuration which appears to be the same (pattern & color) as found in the Phoenix reference. A photo of a ewer I have with this type of pattern is below, however this is not Phoenix because it is simply opalescent.

Offline glasskillian

• Members
    • england
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 09:12:15 PM »
 ;D
Thanks ohio ;)
Such a complete explanation superb im taking your views on board seems all good with the phoenix glassworks upto now i thought either webb or phoenix but havent found any cast iron evidence as yet its nice to know im maybe on the right tracks, Im guessing phoenix is more saleable in the usa market so may put it on ebay now any ideas on value on this type of thing?Thanks again dan
p.s. sadly i have no copy of book

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 06:29:27 AM »
Sorry can't provide values...board policy.

Offline glasskillian

• Members
    • england
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 03:24:55 PM »
 8)
Sorry stupid too ask thanks for the info dan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand