No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Questions Regarding HOVMANTORP Sweden and Arabia Silja Pattern  (Read 8365 times)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Questions Regarding HOVMANTORP Sweden and Arabia Silja Pattern
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 05:48:03 PM »
Thanks mbmb.  Very useful and welcome information.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline cjf

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 01:35:18 PM »
Ivo, I noticed that your link says that Sea is part of the Sagaform group, and yet the Orrefors web site still says that Sea is a subsidiary of Orrrefors Kosta Boda, as you have it in your book. Do you know if  Sagaform is a recent development?

David

Orrefors/Kosta-Boda and Sagaform are both subsidiaries within the Swedish publicly traded company New Wave Group. It seems that they have shuffled around a bit internally so that Sea is now owned by Sagaform, but they are all in the same group.

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 07:24:39 PM »
The perodic dances of corporate ownership of Orrefors and Kosta Boda can at times be interesting.

At one point Orrefors owned Kosta Boda and by the way Venini but ownership changes happened and Kosta Boda ended
up with controlling interest.

New Wave, a corporate conglomerate, purchased the company Kosta Boda Orrefors and through corporate decisions have
run the operation into the ground. They failed to build on the brand idenity established by previous corporate managers at
Orrefors in the USA and coupled with world economic conditions, the glass operations appear to be in a spiral dive to extinction.

Orrefors is basically shut down, Afors with Bertil Vallen is closed, Boda is practically closed and Kosta staff has been reduced
with all administration being sent to corporate headquarters in Gothenberg.

The small glassworks Sea which has been owned by Kosta is still in operation as far as I know.

Orrefors purchased a glass works in Hovmantorp called Sandvik in the 1920\s which produced  inexpensive glass designed
by Gate and Hald.

Bill Geary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand