No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: a) Is this Stourbridge? b) Is it worth repairing?  (Read 2523 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
a) Is this Stourbridge? b) Is it worth repairing?
« on: April 20, 2006, 10:10:07 AM »
I'll be brief (makes a change!) as I'm not well.  (See Cafe post  :( )  

I finally rose from my sickbed to unwrap this parcel, and discovered I'd failed to take in the SIZE  of the vase! :shock:  I thought I was buying a little one :oops:  "Pay more attention, the girl at the back!"   :roll:  

So what I want to know is, do the experts think this is a 'Stourbridge' vaseline vase?  If not, what / where / who?   http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1588  
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1587
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1586

And as you see, it has a tiny chip, which the seller suggested could be smoothed out.  Does anyone think this is worth getting done?  It's very small and doesn't show very much at all - I had to search for it, having been told it was there, but it's only visible from a certain direction.
Leni

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 10:23:27 AM »
It's a lovely vase, just how big is big? Perhaps it can keep the others in order. I would have said it's only worth having the chip done if you want to sell it on and doing so would increase its value

Connie

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 10:46:31 AM »
Leni - If the chip is small, the vase can be displayed where it doesn't show and it doesn't bother you - I say leave it alone  :lol:

BTW - I love it.  This is much more my style.  Shhh!! Don't tell the others, but I really don't care for all those "modern" pieces  :oops:

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 10:59:12 AM »
Quote from: "Lustrousstone"
It's a lovely vase, just how big is big? Perhaps it can keep the others in order.

Sorry, I forgot to say the size.  Not on form at the moment   It's 7" high and 6" across the widest part.  I do love it, but I really don't have room for anything quite that big!  I'd been disciplining myself to only buy small pieces, but it was so pretty, I just didn't read the description well enough  :roll:

I was thinking I'd keep it for a bit and then maybe sell it, which is why I wondered if the chip was worth repairing.  Anyone any idea how much grinding out a small chip would cost?
Leni

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 06:24:54 PM »
:D:D:D
Hello Leni,
Sorry to hear you've been under the weather  :cry: (and just about everything else by the sound of it!).

When I had the "mustard" lump removed, it cost about £8. I know, though, that having a bit of textured Strathearn sorted, which is a much more complex glass than Mdina, cost a lot more, nearer £35-40. I think the extra came from the fact that the Strathearn was textured as well as multicoloured, while the Mdina was just a straightforward polishing down on what was thick glass to start off with.

Would you end up loosing some of the opaline effect if yours were polished?

I reckon just leave it, if you can live with it. :D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 07:03:00 PM »
Leni, I join Sue in this matter!
It's a real beauty and if you are going to sell it once, sell it with that small damage - you should also name that if ground out  so then: leave it to the buyer.... good luck :wink:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 01:35:21 PM »
It's a beautiful vase,Leni. :)
Totally my kind of style! It does look very "Stourbridge" to me.
I do concur with Connnie's statement, I like the old glass best. They don't make it like they used to......
I think you should leave it as is, after all it is well over 100 (probably 120) years old & it's condition reflects it's long & interesting life, just like our own faces & bodies do! :D
I prefer signs of character to plastic surgery.......
Just a thought! :)
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 09:46:34 PM »
Thank you all for your comments  :D I guess I'll keep this one for now, and leave it as it is.  

I always feel rather strange when I get a beauty like this for so little money  :shock:   I feel torn between being really pleased that I got it at a good price, and sad because no-one else wants such a beautiful and venerable old piece of glass because it has such a small, insignificant bit of damage!  :(  :roll:
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand