No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Very large Strathearn closepack - does anyone know the year?  (Read 1777 times)

Offline Simone

• Members
    • Glass Forums
Very large Strathearn closepack - does anyone know the year?
« on: April 20, 2006, 10:56:36 AM »
I have this very large 3 1/4" Strathearn closepack, and was wondering if anyone had any idea what year it was made.

Side view
Base

I looked on Richard More's site, but was left even more confused (and dizzy).

The canes are well defined and there's one, just before the 9 o'clock position, third cane in, and I can't see a record of it anywhere. It's the one with the white, frosty outerm yellow inner, white star inside, and 4 little canes inside the star.
Women and cats will do as they please,
and men and dogs should get used to the  idea.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Morgan48

• Members
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 09:26:12 PM »
Hi Simone

I had a look on Richards site and yourone seems to come under the P15 style...although going backwards and forwards I might have got them mixed up.... anyway I copied this below and if the same as yours then should answer your question
Gareth

P15

This is Strathearn's Large Carpet millefiori or Closepack weight. The number of canes packed into these weights can range from the 70's to well over 100. The sizes range from 2.70 to over 3.0". I don't know at this time when these were discontinued but I have a copy of a Strathearn brochure/catalog dated May 1, 1978 and they are NOT listed as an actively produced weight so I would suspect that they were produced from 1965 until probably around 1977. They always have a colored ground as I have not seen one this size on a clear ground. As with many Strathearn weights it is not unusual to find earlier Vasart canes among the Strathearn canes in these weights. While in production this P14 series was extended to the PP14 and PSF142 series.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Simone

• Members
    • Glass Forums
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 10:40:00 PM »
Thanks Gareth. It's definitely a P14 with a rogue Vasart cane I think. :D

It's been amazing just looking into each of the canes and getting lost in that world for hours...

Offline Morgan48

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 09:07:12 AM »
Hi Simone

There you go...told you I'd got it wrong. :oops:  :oops:  :oops: ... I meant P14 all along but I think my keyboard on this pc is numerically challenged... either that or the one remaining grey cell is hibernating again

Gareth :roll:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Simone

• Members
    • Glass Forums
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 09:20:46 AM »
Hi Gareth, I don't think your grey cell is acting up ;), although it's possible your finger slipped.

It's so easy to get the numbers wrong, letters too, especially when you're tired.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand