Looking for Glass on ebay? Angela's Designer Searches can help! Click here!
Looking for Glass on ebay? Angela's Designer Searches can help! Click here!

Author Topic: Why ??  (Read 508 times)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: Why ??
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 07:17:01 PM »
To a great extent I agree with you Christine, there is inevitably splitting of hairs here.  However, we have to ask ourselves if there is any point in archiving pictures of labels, marks and signatures, unless we are going to use them to help us identify a piece of glass we either have or want to buy.

In the end,  it all comes down to the integrity of the seller, and the knowledge of the buyer.

Most pressed glass isn't signed with a signature anyway,  so it is primarily hot worked, or hand blown glass that is the issue here, therefor a recognisable Seguso piece which only bears a worn but recognisable label would surely fall into this category?:
3.a.a distinctive mark, characteristic, etc, that identifies a person or thing.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 07:49:30 PM »
Some folk collect Beatles photographs which have been signed by them - but there are loads of photos "out there" with "signatures" done by other folk or even with a rubber stamp.
There is (quite rightly) a considerable difference in the prices paid, depending on whether or not the actual signaure mark was made by a Beatle or by somebody else or by a rubber stamp.

It's perhaps easier to see the argument about validity when we stop looking at glass.

In days gone by, when many folk were unable to read or write, somebody would be asked to make their "mark" instead of a signature if they were unable to write. I would presume that's when the definition came to include a differentiating mark as a signature.
Cheers, Sue (M)

Three Wise Women would have asked for directions, arrived on time, delivered the baby, cleaned the stables and made a casserole...

And there WOULD have been peace on earth.

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 01:21:32 AM »
Rosieposie thanks for the Collins English Dictionary post. I believe under signature #3.  a distinctive mark, characteristic, etc, that identifies a person or thing. does help clarify things unless of course a distinctive mark that identifies a thing cannot be used because the thing is glass & the distinctive mark is an acid etched mark then I plead guilty of using slang. I am done splitting hairs. 

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 01:31:49 AM »
IMHO................

A signature, or an acid mark, or etched mark IS MORE of a Signature......than just a plain old Label.

A label to me, is NOT a signed piece at all.  As said it may be an import label, or perhaps NOT even a correct label ( ie Marriage of sorts) put on any given day.

When I see pieces on Ebay listed *AS SIGNED* WITH ONLY A LABEL on it ---- it does nothing more for me than *appear to be misleading ad and borders on FRAUD*.  I would rather see a signature, or an acid mark, or some kind of mark to consider it to be signed (if piece identidy is known) than to BOLDLY STATE on Ebay a piece is signed ONLY WHEN IT HAS A LABEL.

A label IMHO, is not signed.....

I hope other GMB members will let sellers on Ebay know this when and if they see such ads.  I mean that is like saying Chinese pieces are Rare old Murano glass or something -- when it is NOT.

IMHO, a label does not mean Signed.  So I hope we can educate some Ebay Sellers the use of such a term.  A label is a label and that is it.

To say a LABEL*is a signature or signed* (IMHO) by sellers on Ebay........is total misleading advertising by Ebay sellers!!!   A phony TAG word to attract buyers.  In any point a label is NOT in the true sense a signed piece.  It is misleading buyers being sneaky.

That is how I see it......and should let any such seller on Ebay know that.  Learn Fair and honest advertising.

That is all....

Ohio.....I agree even a acid mark is more of a signed piece than a MERE LABEL....so I kinda share your thoughts
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 12:26:37 PM »

In the end,  it all comes down to the integrity of the seller, and the knowledge of the buyer.

Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com
This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand