No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby uranium cake stand.  (Read 2160 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Sowerby uranium cake stand.
« on: November 21, 2011, 01:05:01 PM »
just to show that I do search the catalogues, occasionally  -  and this is from the c.1940 illustrated catalogue - page 9 item no. 2563 which is presumably the 'green' mentioned.     Additionally, Sowerby offered flint, amber and blue.          However, .........the catalogue says 8" diamater, whereas this is 9"  -  anyone care to comment on this apparent anomaly.    thanks for looking :)

Offline Adam

• Glass Professional
  • Members
  • Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72
Re: Sowerby uranium cake stand.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 09:58:55 PM »
Paul - There was certainly only one size produced of this very popular cake plate.  With many bowls etc the sizes quoted in catalogues were very nominal due to different amounts of stretching during the finishing process.  With this item, however, little stretching would occur.  If your example is uranium green then it is probably pre WW2.  If sales then were anything like the tens of thousands which I was invoved with after the war the mould would have been re-cut more than once.  Each time a small but significant increase in size would occur.  The sales people probably didn't even notice!

Adam D.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 10:08:44 PM »
thanks Adam  -  and other people have also reminded me that catalogue quoted sizes are nominal, so I shouldn't be too pendantic about dimensions ....it was just that a whole inch or thereabouts seemed quite a large variation.    However, thanks for your interesting and informative reply, and if I offer cake to guests in the evening it might just make an interesting talking point if I turn out the light and shine the u.v. torch ;D.

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • Trinket Sets, Uranium, Varied,
    • England, UK
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 07:33:38 PM »
I also have this Sowerby Glass 3 Footed Cake Plate Pattern 2563, it is quite a bright green but is not Uranium and measures 8 3/4 inches. I have sometimes seen it used as a tray for trinket sets.
Please help identify Mystery Glass Trinket Sets
https://www.glasstrinketsets.com/Gallery/

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 08:24:21 PM »
I used to see these things not uncommonly, in charity shops and other various bric-a-brac outlets - but they seem to be less common now.  As Adam says, there is only one nominal size, but variation appears to be the spice of life with some of these commonly produced items.   Although unrelated to dressing table accoutrements, there's not any practical reason it couldn't do service in that direction.

I have one or two early C20 hob nail cut (cane as they say over the pond) clear glass perfume/scent bottles from recent years - I love some of these early cut dispensers and atomisers  -  particularly if they have Sterling mounts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand