No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this really Old English?  (Read 2005 times)

Offline w84it

• Members
    • Oxford UK
Is this really Old English?
« on: February 20, 2013, 07:30:24 PM »
I am rather sceptical of the Old English attribution for this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380573640562?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

Can anyone confirm or deny?
Weightforit   -  mad about marbries, crowns and swirls ...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Is this really Old English?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 09:39:12 PM »

I am fairly sure that it is Old English, but from an unknown maker. I have had several paperweights with similar canes, and all appeared to me to be Old English - lead crystal, fairly large, 'simple' millefiori.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline w84it

• Members
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 09:09:07 AM »
Thanks Alan.   

I  know little about OE weights, especially those from unknown makers.  This was a layout that I've not seen before.  I tend to expect closepacked canes.  And I had wonderered to begin with whether it was Murano.

I do find the weight attractive (but nowhere near as attractive as the Islington OE weight that sold recently for £6000 at the Knowle auction rooms!).

Thanks again

Keith

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 12:25:45 PM »

I do find the weight attractive (but nowhere near as attractive as the Islington OE weight that sold recently for £6000 at the Knowle auction rooms!).

Thanks again

Keith

The IGW weight was beautiful, I went to the auction rooms to collect some others that I won and was allowed to have a good look at it,  probably never get to handle another, if I'd had the money I would have bought it, but it's off to the USA. I had to settle for the Bacchus one.

Apparently this was a collection put in to auction by a lady whose parents were antique dealers in the 70's and these were their personal collection but she knew absolutely nothing about them. I gather she was very pleased at the outcome.  :)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 01:29:20 PM »

Hi Nick.

I too had the good fortune to handle the Islington when I picked up a couple of lots from there on Monday. 

The auction house asked me to verify the Islington attribution some weeks ago, and I gave them my views on the ID of all the weights (I called the pedestal Chinese a Chinese weight - I don't know where they got 'Melville' from). And I don't recall saying that any were Bacchus - indeed, I pointed out that some were definitely not Bacchus, and that one was debatable.  Which do you consider was a Bacchus, Nick?

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 01:36:09 PM »
Hi Alan
I'll have to take some photos as I guess the links have gone from the auction site now.
It is a fairly large low dome with canes that swirl out around a centre cane. It was listed as possibly Bacchus and I have matched canes to a Bacchus weight in Robert Hall's book. The dome profile also seems to match the Bacchus weights.

Nick

Offline w84it

• Members
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 02:08:33 PM »
Nick, the links appear to be still on the auction website.   Link for the Islington below.  I was not sure which other weight  you were referring to.

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/knowle-auction-rooms/catalogue-id-2875917/lot-16902964?searchitem=true

Keith

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 02:12:22 PM »
Give me a few mins, I've just taken photos, I'll start a new thread to avoid confusion.

Nick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand