No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: stumped  (Read 835 times)

Offline lakebargainantiques

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • collectibles, Hiking, Talking
    • United States
stumped
« on: February 20, 2013, 07:49:04 PM »
Hi everyone again and thank you for your time.
I have owned this lovely etched glass lamp for a while and have never been able to identify. All answers are appreciated. the brass has a made in India sticker which would make be believe this is not that old. It is a very heavy piece and appears to be quality.
Yeshi Ghoori. Do somebody a favor today

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: stumped
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 01:12:12 PM »
Hi again, this is a beautiful lamp, and to help us help you, can you take another picture with a perfectly plain background so that there is as little interference with the picture and signature as possible please?

If the top is removable, it may be possible to place a piece of plain paper inside the glass to show the etching and signature off to best effect.

I am not into lamps,  but many on here are, and I am sure there will be someone along to help soon.... good luck.  :)

Added:  I think it would be a good idea to ask one of the moderators to re-title for you as it is always helpful if the title explains the item and help you need. ie. Signed, etched lamp, help with signature please.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline lakebargainantiques

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • collectibles, Hiking, Talking
    • United States
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 01:50:00 PM »
I have some new shots hope this helps
Yeshi Ghoori. Do somebody a favor today

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 12:20:47 PM »
hello  ...as rosie has indicated, images of clear/cut/etched glass are improved enormously by using a plain unfussy background.       From what I can see, the decoration doesn't appear to be etched, but looks to be wheel engraved - although that won't help with dating or provenance, unfortunately.
The signature looks to be unusually neat in its curves - has this been produced in the same way as the wheel engraving, do you think - or might it have been acid etched?       Does it have depth like the engraving, or is it flush with the surface of the glass?
From a safety point of view, is there an earth provision in the wiring - if not, then this might have been a dodgy purchase (I'm not suggesting it was, just that should anyone decide to use the lamp then an earth wire is essential in view of the glass and metal).

Was the lamp acquired from within the U.K.?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand