No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stevens and Williams Caerleon vase  (Read 2509 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Stevens and Williams Caerleon vase
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 01:16:49 PM »
I found some info on what I think is your vase.
In an article produced in 1975 by Mary Van Pelt she shows what looks like a picture of your vase or very similar (has snake on it, perhaps a different shape) and the caption says
'In 1929, Royal Brierly (sic) glassware line of Stevens & Williams was imported by John Davison, Inc. These Reptile vases came in 12 sizesand shapes.'  Haven't checked to see if that ties in with Caerleon dates.
:)
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Stevens and Williams Caerleon vase
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 02:17:30 PM »
Date wise it does, according to Hajdamach production of Caerleon started in 1929. Reading between the lines, Stevens and Williams added more shapes and colours to the range after a year or two but it seems they were not produced for many more years as the fashion changed. Art Deco shapes became much more popular and no doubt the interest in archeology waned a bit after the discoveries in the mid twenties (Tutankhamun) and in 1928 at Caerleon.

I would take with a pinch of salt there being twelve reptile vases, twelve shapes all told seems more likely.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand