No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Orrefors Hald engraved flasks - 1923?  (Read 3314 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Orrefors Hald engraved flasks - 1923?
« on: January 30, 2007, 04:05:23 PM »
I've bought  two Orrefors flasks/decanters, designed by Edward Hald.

They both measure 8" tall and have original cork stoppers (with a screw and nut through them) with (I guess) silver plated top and ring.  The 'Lion' flask clearly has 1923 etched onto it and Andy McC suggested King Gustav of Sweden for the GV monogram - I was thinking King George which is less appropriate really.

Here's the signature on the bases - quite hard to make out.

of.H.924.24.2.9  (the individual '2' is questionable)  - Lion flask

of.H.(etched blank space)38.9.4.?   - GV monogram flask

The GV Monogram flask is etched to all sides, whereas the Lion flask is only etched on the front.

There's a similar shaped flask in Andy McConnells 20th Century Glass book on page 189, featuring Winston Churchill.

I haven't seen this style before - can anyone throw any more light on what the engravings might mean?  Is the shield with the three crowns in it the Swedish flag for instance?

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4785

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4787

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4786

Thank you. :o)

I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Orrefors Hald engraved flasks - 1923?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 04:50:13 PM »
http://www.answers.com/topic/three-crowns

they look wonderful! I would certainly think Gustav V who reigned 1907-1950 and who enjoyed his 65th birthday in 1923 did have something to do with the engraving; likewise the basket of plenty which is a recurring theme in Swedish folk art. The coat of arms is the minor one, not the full royal affair which would indeed be a little too elaborate.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 05:22:47 PM »
Ahhhhhh!  'basket of plenty', so that's what it is. Thanks Ivo, that's all great information.  :D

I'm keeping these two flasks, I seem to have a Scandinavian engraved decanter collection forming.  I just wish it was easier to display, being shoved at the back of a cupboard isn't the best place really.   ::)
I am not a man

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 08:33:38 PM »
The arms with the three crowns are the state arms used for royalty other than the King, but the V confuses the issue doesn't it. In Simon Gate/Edward Hald 1948 on page 68 a goblet is shown with a similar cypher but a differing crown presumably the crown prince (... tillhörande servis skänkt av göteborgare till Kronprinsparet. Gate, 1922. There seems to be further discussion of a service engraved and related to the crown prince in the 1922/3 period.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 09:27:50 PM »
Thanks for looking that up Frank, I don't have that book, but it's interesting to hear about the goblet with similar cypher but different crown.  It seems that you and Ivo concur that the lion coat of arms (if that's what it is) is minor royalty, perhaps a crown prince?  And we're still thinking King Gustav for the G monogram, although we don't know where the 'V' fits in...

I think I've got more searching to do on Google, and I'm all Googled out on this really.

Would Bill Geary be able to throw any light on this or know someone to ask?  It's a bit before his time, I know.  ;)

I am not a man

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 08:23:29 AM »
And we're still thinking King Gustav for the G monogram, although we don't know where the 'V' fits in...

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustaf_V
Of course the V fits in!
As for the coat of arms, the full one is quite elaborate with 4 shields and 2 lions etc. and may only be used on official business, so for daily purpose they just use the abbreviated "minor"- with three crowns in a shield.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 12:02:47 PM »
Ivo said
http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustaf_V
Of course the V fits in!

Thanks for setting me straight Ivo.  :-[   I find this kind of thing pretty confusion...it shows, doesn't it? 

I suppose a question I'd really like answered is how unusual these flasks are.  Were they made in limited numbers, how many have survived? Something about seeing the artists hand in the work really appeals to me.  :)
I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand