No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pink Birds - Murano or Venetian ?  (Read 3908 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Pink Birds - Murano or Venetian ?
« on: February 22, 2013, 05:29:38 PM »
Hi all.....

Finally will be getting around to posting some of my buys here for a while.....stay tuned......LOL

I will start with my most precious ones I got. A pair of Pink Glass birds with Gold in them.   I found them on-line (not Fleabay) but ALAS the female bird incurred a break on the trip here.  I will *try* to fix her, but I still love them.

~ Pair of pink birds, with gold highlights.  Male and female bird
~ Very thick heavy bases on them that I have not seen before.
~ Base has pontil scar
~ Base has also been ground, and shows wear
~ Male Bird is about:  9 inches tall, and about 12 inches long from tip of tail to beak (about 2.5 pounds).  The Male also has a couple of leaves on the base stem, where the female does not.
~ Female Bird is about:  7.5 inches tall, and about 10.5 inches long (about 2 pounds)

Are these birds:  Pheasants, or Roadrunner, or what?

I can find some glass bird but alot of them are more in the *pecking stance* with their Head down, and the tail up.  I can not find any like these.

I am hoping "I did Good" on these.  That they are very old, and perhaps Venetian.  There is quite a bit of dirt in the grooves of the tails I have yet to clean out.......carefully......lol.

Any idea on the age, maker, or any other info at all on them?

They WILL go with my Murano PINK lamps, and some of the other (many) pink things I have here.  I guess I am into some Pink Glass now......LOL.....as I now have a collection.

I DO LOVE THEM ;D ;) ;)

:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Pink Birds - Murano or Venetian ?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 09:29:14 PM »
Hi Rose top quality and old i had a cowboy and cowgirl on that exact base , a guy who is a top dealer in Italian glass bit my hand off for them that was sometime back , not sure but Barovier & Toso comes to mind , i wish i had kept them , i think i have another pair in the loft a girl and a boy on a swing or a log iridescent pink and silver pearl but one is broken so i put them away and forgot about them ,,,,, must dig them out , i am sure Anita will come up with something . cheers jp   ..... Golden Pheasants i believe .

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 12:27:30 AM »
You are right, jp. Barovier & Toso. Very nice, antiquerose. I believe they are late 40s-early 50s. So sad to hear of the chip.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 01:06:42 AM »
Thanks JP and Anita for the ID on them!! 

I thought they were good just via a pic on-line  ;D   < dances here >

You are right, jp. Barovier & Toso. Very nice, antiquerose. I believe they are late 40s-early 50s. So sad to hear of the chip.

The Male bird is 100 % okay, he is perfect...................NOW the female bird has a bit if more than a chip.  See pic here.

Such a shame as that happened via postal.  I am going to try to fix it SO which glue might be better?  Heavy duty Crazy Glue, or I also saw a Glass Glue (for aquarium ) as that is for Glass to Glass.  Have never tried it so I am not sure it might be thick, as it sounds like the type of glue for making YOUR own aquarium  (seams) so not sure if it would work well for this as I do not want the break to show too much......................OR any other suggestions on a fast/good bonding glue to use for Glass??

If you want for the Zoo Anita, you may....

So one of the birds is perfect, and the other just broke at the stem.   IF this had not happened via Postal -- they both would have been perfect as I feel no chips anywhere else.  I guess IT could have been worse, and smashed into a zillion pieces!!!

I paid $ 60 for the pair of birds  ;D

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 01:16:23 AM »
It is pretty sad. A 60 year old birds reduced in value from around $250 to 0 just like that. The bird lives on, but the value is gone.

Thanks for saying we could put it in the zoo. It is a wonderful addition.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 01:29:31 AM »
It is pretty sad. A 60 year old birds reduced in value from around $250 to 0 just like that. The bird lives on, but the value is gone.

Thanks for saying we could put it in the zoo. It is a wonderful addition.

Well at least ONE is still perfect -- just as a set they are not.  Better than having the mail man wreck both.  For that I am still Thank ful, as it could have worst for Both.  I still will keep them.  After getting the positive ID from you I saw something similar (with a tail repair) at some auction place, and it still sold.

I will not be selling these anyways....they are just for me.  I love them and just glad that I still may be able to repair the one. 

They will not be flying south anytime from my home.......LOL.....I will still love them.

To me they are still worth it, as even with the one perfect one.  It was amazing they lasted 60 years without any damage -- then Canada post did it one.  Least not a zillion Chards!  One clean break. 

I will try to be a Vet and fix the other one.

Maybe you want to use this pic Anita....you decide

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 02:09:39 AM »
One word of warning -- the crazy glue for glass works, but only for a short time. I repaired a pheasant with a stem broken like this. The glue held for a while, then one day it gave and the pheasant hit the floor. If you glue it, find some way to reenforce the glue. Or maybe someone will know something that is stronger so your pheasant won't suffer the same fate mine did.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 03:22:00 AM »
Thanks Anita....that is what I am afraid with Crazy glue.  Will only hold for a while then might fall apart and do more damage.  Maybe I should try the other glue??

I been googling around here and found a Single, Smaller bird on Svazzo site, much the same in shape...

http://www.trocadero.com/stores/svazzo/items/830721/item830721.html

Gee, now I can find some other examples of that base, Super !!

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 07:57:36 AM »
 ;D Rose ignore that remark i bet you dont look 60 and are worth a lot more than $250 . Anita you naughty gal . ;D
   One figurine sold at £400 on ebay last year . :'(

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 02:56:44 PM »
That is even more than I thought it would be. More discouraging yet.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand