No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Nourot 78  (Read 1668 times)

Offline TheArtifact

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass Paperweights
    • USA
Nourot 78
« on: February 23, 2013, 07:03:01 PM »
A while back I found this at a yard sale at first glance just fell in love with the way it looked so I bought it. Up until now I really had no means to find out the value or rarity of this piece of art I simply just admired it. I have done a fair share of research to find this out myself but im no expert so If someone can give me a rough guess on the value it would be much appreciated.
 The signature I believe reads  Nourot 439-78-j5b.
Thank you

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Re: Nourot 78
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 05:09:49 AM »
Hi there, and WELCOME!!

I do not know nothing about your PW as I am always still learning too.........but those that know more about PW here will be able to help you.

Again Welcome!!  Enjoy the Board!!  ;)
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 01:06:23 PM »
he's been around a long time. as I recall he was in Benicia, California, just outside of San Francisco. I've had several of his pieces over the years. not sure if he is still working or not. his paperweights are not terribly valuable, but nicely done.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline RAINBOWGIRL

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 01:40:53 PM »
The Nourot family still makes glass in Benicia, California, which, yes, is in the San Francisco area. There are many glass artists in Benicia, which is a village on the water that attracts many tourists. The Benicia Chamber of Commerce has a comprehensive website through which you can find the Nourots, including photos of their work and a history of the Nourot studio.

The founder of Nourot Glass, Michael Nourot, recently retired at age 63 due to health reasons, but he still visits the studio and occssionally helps out in the studio gallery and shop. Michael's wife Ann Corcoran and their son Nicholas Nourot continue to make glass. Many glass artists have worked at the studio. One thing about Nourot Glass is that it is always signed and had always been signed.

According to the website, Michael began making glass in 1974. His work can be beautiful, and he and his family did and still does a very large trade to tourists. Yours is a very early paperweight, but it does not have much value. Perhaps $10 to $20. Even a paperweight signed by Michael never appreciated in value. Norout always concentrated on abstract paperweights and has made thousands over the years. His most popular design is the bee hive paperweight, which is shaped like a conical bee hive. They can occssionally be found online for between $100 and $150. Yours is just a nice collectible. The Nourot Glass studio never opted for rarity or limited editions. It makes paperweights, vases, bowls, lamps, and sculptures.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand