No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: To DAVID E - was this listing correct?  (Read 1076 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: To DAVID E - was this listing correct?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 05:18:12 PM »
No, I'm sure it is not made by Chance and would otherwise need more proof before attributing it as such. Two reasons: it is amber glass and Chance rarely made coloured pressed glass, apart from ruby and 'signal green' (for their warning lights). Secondly, the pressing looks to be a very high standard, and from a multi-part mould, more akin to Sklo Union or German. Chance was far more involved in quantity and as such the quality was not always that high.

I contacted this seller about the mis-attribution, and got the following:
Hi there, sorry but I haven't got information relating to this particular design, which is why I am only attributing it to Chance. The only glass ashtrays made for Parker with an etched logo that I can find any record of are the Chance Glass pieces.
and when I queried that, mentioning Whitefriars was my first thought, although wf.com didn't think so:
Hi there, thanks for the info, it was that design that is the only recorded example for Parker. Lots of people mistake this for Whirefriars by thinking it is for Parker Pens who they made pieces for. The logo on the base is why I am dating it from this period as it matches the one used at that time.
I cannot be sure of the maker which is why it is only attributed in the listing, any more info would be great
Funny, but an attribution is a clear identification, isn't it?  ???
So I then got back:
... I am absolutely convinced these were not produced by Chance. Not least the style and type of manufacture, but also the colour as Chance invariably mass-produced items in clear glass.
Whitefriars was my first impulse, but the manufacture could be Sklo Union (it appears to be pressed not mould-blown), in which case it has been imported.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 05:56:11 PM »
Interesting.  I thought you would be of this opinion.  I have one of these, bought ages ago.  Mine is in a "Sapphire Blue" colour, and i have also seen them in an Amethyst colour.  These together with this Amber one in the listing, are very typical of Whitefiars colours.  However, nobody in the Whitefriars crowd, has been able to definitively attributed them to W/F. 

It is well known though that Whitefriars collaborated with Ronson ( for glass based lighters) Parker ( for pen stand paperweights/ashtrays) and Dunhill for other things.  None of those aforementioned items appeared in the W/F catalogues as they were marketed for and by the respective "retailers". 

Another mystery?!

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 06:18:41 PM »
I have one somewhere in a light green . jp

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 07:00:39 PM »
No defo not , i never have its a wishey washey green lighter than mushey peas .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand