No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID help please  (Read 1214 times)

Offline mjr

• Members
ID help please
« on: February 24, 2013, 02:46:16 PM »
This one is out of my comfort zone. 

small weight, about 1.5> 1.75 inch diameter.   Typical french dished base. 

Any suggestions?  Anyone recognise the canes.
Martin

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: ID help please
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 03:15:20 PM »

Hi Martin.

I think I have four that I believe are from that factory, and they are in my 'unknown, need further research' cupboard!

The first I bought, about twelve years ago, was sold to me as 'Old English' by a dealer who knew that I collected Old English (somewhere Frodsham way, I recall...).  I think that was just an excuse to sell it to me, and that there is no evidence that these are English.  I lean towards a French origin, but they might be Belgian or even Bohemian.  I'll try and post some images when I have caught up with a few other things.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 03:37:18 PM »
thanks Alan.

I was thinking french.  I mentioned the typical french base, and ignoring the canes, it does look and feel like a small clichy or st mande. Be interesting to see yours for comparison.

i wonder what ever happened to those dealers?? ::) ;D
Martin

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 03:54:19 PM »

Hi Martin

Here are images of three of mine.  All are lead crystal, concave polished bases, dome profile quite high. Short sections of cane, set half way up the dome.  No canes match exactly, but they 'feel' similar to each other, and maybe yours.

Sizes vary:

4121 Diameter 2 3/4 inch / 70 mm. The  hidden outer garland canes match the green ring near the centre. (Source: UK)
4122 Diameter 2 1/2 inch / 63 mm. Rather flat top - may have been re-polished. (Source: US eBay).
4123 Diameter 1 3/4 inch / 45 mm. (Source: German dealer).

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand