No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Press Glass Sphinx  (Read 6460 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Press Glass Sphinx
« on: February 24, 2013, 07:23:50 PM »
A very nice pressed glass sphinx late C1900. I do not know who made it . The only one I can remember seeing or finding on the web is a purple slag glass one that sold at Cowan's Auction Cincinnati in 2007 as English. It was sold as an unknown British maker ( ref Chiarenza and Slater 1998 fig. 289). Although they give a length of 4.6" and my frosted one is 5.5" at the maximum base to base . So it may be a different but very similar in looking Sphinx.
If you google image pressed glass sphinx the purple slag glass one is on the first page.

I not 100% sure myself even if its British. If I did not know I would guess French Baccarat maybe.

Length 5.5" / 14cm . Height 4.75" / 13cm . Weight 1100 gm

Thanks Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Press Glass Sphinx
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 10:54:51 PM »
I'm probably leading you up the garden path here but I recall seeing what I thought was a Saint-Louis bust (may well have been Baccarat I'm thinking of though) that was very large and very heavy and was part frosted part clear on the base.  So they might also be worth a look at.
There are two others I've come across, but they aren't the same as yours
one is a winged sphinx by John Derbyshire
the other a black one from Molineaux Webb & Co.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 12:48:22 PM »

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 05:53:28 PM »
According to PK some are marked ´St. Louis deposé´ to the inside:
http://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/aktuelles/pdf/pk-2006-2w-christoph-sphinx-leuchter.pdf
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 06:41:19 PM »
 :o I never actually thought I'd be correct
Thanks Dirk

m

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 07:55:26 PM »
Thanks m and Dirk.

Well done m I had a feeling it was French and when I said Baccarat I was also thinking possibly St Louis. I know the bust you are thinking of as I had a frosted bust of Christ by Baccarat which I sold but you can see a picture on Pamela's site .

I spoke to someone I know in the USA today who has a very large collection of this type of novelty items and he told me it was made by St Louis, it was made in 2 sizes and that he has 3 of them in the small size in purple slag and the rare pale blue slag, they also made the Small one with out the stepped base.

Thanks Dirk for the link I had a feeling it would be some where on that web site . I did have a quick look last night but very difficult if you do not speak German. A very comprehensive look at both sizes , variations and all the known colours and nice to know that some are marked.

Thanks Roy

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 08:21:15 PM »
Photos of an example in unfrosted pretty blue glass. Approximate height 4 inches (100 mm), length at base 4¼ inches (110 mm). Unmarked.

(Permission to re-use these images on the GMB granted by Lynne Clark).

Fred.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 05:02:12 PM »
A sphinx with a frosted glass body that bears a strong resemblance to that of the St. Louis piece shown in the opening post of this thread, but with a different base - the sphinx is not raised on a plinth or pedestal but is surrounded by a clear flattened base border decorated with an interlaced loop design.

It measures approximately 9cms high and its base is roughly 13½ cms long x 8½  wide; weight and it weighs 622 grams.

The sphinx has no distinguishing marks.

(Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by Kevin Collins).

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 04:18:16 PM »
All the glass sphinxes shown previously are ‘Egyptian’ sphinxes, with the body of a lion and the head of a human. In most cases, the head is that of a man, and such a sphinx is properly known as an androsphinx.

In classical Greek mythology, however, the sphinx was a monstrous female figure who is said to have guarded the entrance to the Greek city of Thebes, and to have asked a riddle of travellers to allow them passage. She strangled and devoured anyone unable to answer. This ‘Greek’ sphinx is often represented as a monster with a head and breasts of a woman the body of a lioness, the wings of an eagle, and a serpent-headed tail.

Here, then, is an example of a glass ‘Greek’ sphinx atop a decorative plinth. Her well-coiffed hair is held in place with a headpiece or tiara. She measures approximately 12cms at it's highest point, has a 16cms long x 9 ½ cms wide base, and weighs in at 728 grams. There are no identifying marks.

(Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by Kevin Collins).

It has been suggested that this glass ‘Greek’ sphinx is from a French or Belgian manufacturer, possibly Val St Lambert. Is anyone able to give a firm attribution to the manufacturer of this sphinx, please?

During the 16th century, the Greek sphinx was revived as a decorative motif by the Mannerist school of European art - her coiffed head is erect, and she has the breasts of a young woman, and sometimes sports eagle’s wings, though the body is usually entirely leonine. This revivalist Greek style of sphinx is often referred to as the ‘French’ sphinx, but she appeared widely as a decorative feature throughout Europe from the 17th through to the 19th centuries.

Probably the best known British pressed glass sphinx in the ‘French’ style is that by John Derbyshire from his registered design 299022 of 9 March 1876 – see:
https://sites.google.com/site/molwebbhistory/Home/registered-designs/derbyshire-brothers-designs-by-date/derbyshire-brothers-1875-1877

Any more glass sphinx versions to show, please?

Fred

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 02:18:38 PM »
No more to add Fred.  However,  I hadn't seen your reply as was offline for a long while and I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to add such interesting information.  I learn so much through this site and your replies are always so informative and contain such interesting details.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand