Author Topic: Who made these  (Read 236 times)

Offline Nick77

• Members
Who made these
« on: February 27, 2013, 05:04:37 PM »
Who made these 2 weights sold at Capes Dunn today, the one with Victorias head cane old English but the other?

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/capes-dunn/catalogue-id-2879501/lot-17060362

Nick

Offline w8happiness

• Members
  • More than 2 weights are a collection
    • paperweights
    • Tyrol,Austria,Europe
Re: Who made these
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 05:24:20 PM »
Hi Nick,
the one with the cross looks like Belgian/Val St Lambert,

kind regards, Erhard/Austria
EJM

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • My Paperweights Website
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 07:01:54 PM »

I bid on these, but not a lot!

I agree with Erhard: the 'Val St Lambert' one looks like Belgian, but I would say not Val St Lambert.: the torsdade is too messy.  There were many fairly competent glass factories in Belgium during the 19th century, and it could be from one of those.

I feel sure that the Victoria head cane weight is Old English, but I do not think it is a Bacchus.  I have seen several weights with these or similar canes, and no canes in them overlap with classic Bacchus canes. Indeed, I once owned two large concentrics with similar canes, and a Queen's Head cane in the middle of each.  I think it is an 'unknown factory' piece: maybe one day we will get evidence to pin them down to a maker.

Alan
Alan
The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton. Please feel free to contact me direct if you do not agree with my comments and do not wish to make your concerns known by posting in this thread.
 http://www.pwts.co.uk

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 07:38:20 PM »
Thanks both, I hadn't thought of Belgium.
I was watching too Alan just in case they stayed low,but not knowing the makers I didn't bid on these when the bidding went too high I thought.
The Queens head weight looked too untidy to be Bacchus to me too.

Nick

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Enter key words
Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com