No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ysart?  (Read 2180 times)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mjr

• Members
Re: Ysart?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 07:45:38 AM »
Nope -  It is a very nice Strathearn SP101. 

See Richard More's wonderful site for examples.
http://strathearn.smugmug.com/Strathearn-Paperweights

These are late 1970s Strathearn where they had a few different designs that used these amazing canes.  Because of the quality and the rarity these do go for much more than the usual Strathearn, and the price of this one - £130+ is normal. 
Martin

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mmarc77

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 07:59:10 AM »
Very cool, it is an interesting weight and I learned my something new for today. Thanks for the info Martin.

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 08:05:48 AM »
There have been a few of these on ebay recently, another ended yesterday with an S80 cane in the base it made £157 item 321073815216.

I've not seen one in the flesh yet but keep looking they certainly look very nice.

Nick

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 07:07:22 PM »

These Strathearns were made not long before the factory closed. Dave Moir (the head glass blower there) told me that in the last year the workers got more freedom to make designs that they wanted to do - and so we see one-offs and production runs that (to me) are far more attractive than the standard spokes of the previous years.

Sometimes they are signed and dated with a cane, sometimes not. The undated ones can be offered (or misidentified by bidders) as Paul Ysart pieces - which has driven up the prices. A few years ago these late Strathearns were selling for £50 or so - I wish I had snapped them up! :(

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 07:24:26 PM »
Martin

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 07:42:48 PM »
Different base on that one not ground flat is that perhaps because it has no signature/date cane?
I too have wondered whether bidders are thinking these are by Paul Ysart,they do have similarities in the canes.

Nick

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 08:23:08 AM »
£208 and 6 serious bidders. 
It may be that some people do not realise it is a Strathearn - because of what they are used to and the rarity of these designs - and as you will see from the ebay listings, they are often unattibuted,
There are some similarities to Ysarts. 
But I think they are superb weights with some wonderful canes, a view clearly shared by many collectors, and because of the rarity of them, they will always sell for a premium. They have been over the £100 mark for some years now.   
I don't think that many of the SP100/101/102 weights do have signature/date canes - in the same way that the proportion of signed standard Strathearn spoke designs is low. I do not think there is any correlation between flat bases and signatures.
Martin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand