Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass

Marbles anyone?

<< < (3/6) > >>

chuggy:
I'm afraid the collecting of the marbles has been put off until later in the week as the owner was having a bad day health wise and not up to a visit, but watch this space.
Paul

David555:
I took pictures of a few of my marbles (!) ref my suggested way the other day – I find a black background works best – the cut away process unfortunately shows the marble as rounder than it is – all apart from the agate have ground away points at each end of the core.

1.5” diameter latticinio core marble with multi coloured swirls (three colours to each swirl) – the yellow/orange latticinio core strand is sought after – German 1880 – 1920s

0.75” solid core swirl (three swirled bands in groups of six) – German 1880 – 1920s

0.75 red agate marble probably by Akro – USA 1920 – 30s

1.8” Victorian ‘dump’ glass marble – made from same glass as dump glass paperweights

1.5” ribbon core marble with tight outer swirls – the inner core made from blue glass overlaid on white, formed like a peeled orange skin – German 1880 – 1920s

0.75” solid core swirl (two colours to each swirl) – German 1880 – 1920s

Thanks

Adam P

chuggy:
Great pictures Adam, I'll be picking your brains when I finally get hold of these.
Paul

David555:
No problem Paul

I am OK with basics - when it comes to rare marbles with complex cores and the addition of mica or aventurine I am less sure. Like I have said I know a few collectors who can help out with really rare and obscure ones, some guys are able to tell you who in Germany or Austria made a marble - I can't stretch as far as that.

Looking forward to seeing any pics you get

Adam

chuggy:
I managed to get these marbles now, and though I haven't had a chance to sort them all yet here's a couple of pictures of a few to whet the appetites. Please tell me if they are any good or not as I need to sell them all for him.

http://i3.tinypic.com/wri2rb.jpg

http://i3.tinypic.com/wri4ag.jpg

Paul

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version