No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Marbles anyone?  (Read 9485 times)

Offline chuggy

• Members
Marbles anyone?
« on: April 21, 2006, 06:33:11 PM »
I've been over the previous threads on marbles, but do we have anyone over this side of the pond who is really knowledgeable? The reason being on Sunday I'm going to visit an old friend who has a collection of 654 marbles which are all supposed to be 19th century or earlier glass examples. All sizes apparently and some with paperweight bits in them, his words not mine. I've checked out:-

http://www.marblealan.com/my.htm

which is a great site, but just wondered if we have an expert over here. I'm going to have to sell them for this pal as he has bad health problems and is trying to sort things out before it gets too late, so any help appreciated.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Marbles anyone?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 07:07:34 PM »
There's a yellow latticino (central core) marble, with coloured + gold aventuriny stripes in my local antique shop.  It's very dog eared, and they want £10 for it.   :shock:  :shock:

Hey Paul?  Don't forget to take your camera on Sunday.  :wink:
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chuggy

• Members
Marbles anyone?
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 07:09:17 PM »
I'm bringing them home with me Max so I can picture them at my leisure, I've promised to help out with these so I'm really in at the deep end.
Paul

Offline AlmasAttic

• Members
    • Remtique
Marbles anyone?
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 07:48:28 PM »
Hi
there is a specific forum on Auctionbytes for marbles...maybe someone there can point you in the right direction

http://www.auctionbytes.com/forum/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=36

:)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Marbles anyone?
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 07:59:20 PM »
Thanks for bringing this subject up, Paul.

I have a load of antique marbles that I'd like to ID, so these links will motivate me to actually do something. Thanks to AlmasAttic as well.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Marbles anyone?
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 08:29:24 PM »
See also http://marbleconnection.invisionzone.com

There seems to be plenty of help out there.

I saw a tip on photographing marble interiors.   Wet them, with water if you are quick, oil if you take your time. So that you can see and photograph what's inside through a worn surface. And yes, I would also be cautious about buying them online, but not significantly more so than buying any other types of glass online. It's not cheating if you explain what you have done, or better, also include a photograph of the dry marble.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline chuggy

• Members
Marbles anyone?
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 08:31:50 PM »
Thanks for all the help so far, I'll post some piccys when I get them on Sunday, but they do sound interesting.
Paul

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Marbles anyone?
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 09:23:33 PM »
Thanks Bernard.  Noted.  I was only thinking out loud though, I wasn't meaning to accuse anyone of subterfuge.  :)  :wink:  :oops:
I am not a man

Offline David555

• Members
Marbles anyone?
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 11:48:19 PM »
I used to sell marbles on eBay – I still have many fine examples

My method to get the best pictures was using pure daylight and a good digital camera. I would use a stick attached to one end of a desk by a window ensuring the window had only sky as it's view - I would then stick the marble (they are not heavy, even the 1.5" diam ones) on the end of the stick with a tiny piece of white-tack. I would align the camera using books to get the correct height for a dead shot, no flash - macro on modern cameras allows for infinite detail.

Morning or late afternoon skies give best results (on a clear day of course)

German marbles 1860s - 1920s were my best sellers

Latticinio Core Swirl
Two layer Latticinio Core Swirl
Divided Core Swirl
Solid Core Swirl
Ribbon Core (only the older kind)
Onionskin (if by a good maker can be worth lots)

There are many more like 'Peppermint Swirl' and 'Clambroth'

The best maker I could hope for was ‘Lutz’ - containing aventurine and made to perfection

Price wise I always got about a third of any book price

American marbles were less hot, they are not as old as German ones, but some 1920s ‘Christensen Agate’ marbles are valued at £250.00 – mostly I got ‘Akro’ or ‘Peltier’

Collectors don't like nasty chips but a few nicks here and there is a sign of age as is the roughly ground patch at each end of the core (showing manufacture) - older marbles are never perfectly round - that came later 1920s 30s onwards with machine made marbles

I sold to some very knowledgeable guys. It was a while ago but I can always invite them to the board :?:

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline David555

• Members
Marbles anyone?
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 12:23:35 AM »
I have a set of 1960s marbles that I let friends children play with - they are excellent used in a game of solitaire with an old wooden game board.

I gave my nephew two valuable ones and told him they used to be adored by Victorian children who would swap them like pokemon cards (I think that is why we still have so many older ones in OK condition)

It hasn't sunk through because it is not within range of his peer group

Strangely enough he loves glass animals and is after my collection of Seguso and Pirelli animals - I have given him a few as I think he has an instinct for collecting - he has a beautiful shelf with pieces he has been given and bought himself - I like to see this amongst all his PSP and XBox gear (mind you they will probably be worth something one day LOL)

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand