No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Marbles anyone?  (Read 9486 times)

Offline chuggy

• Members
Marbles anyone?
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 04:21:19 PM »
I'm afraid the collecting of the marbles has been put off until later in the week as the owner was having a bad day health wise and not up to a visit, but watch this space.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David555

• Members
Marbles anyone?
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 08:24:10 PM »
I took pictures of a few of my marbles (!) ref my suggested way the other day – I find a black background works best – the cut away process unfortunately shows the marble as rounder than it is – all apart from the agate have ground away points at each end of the core.

1.5” diameter latticinio core marble with multi coloured swirls (three colours to each swirl) – the yellow/orange latticinio core strand is sought after – German 1880 – 1920s

0.75” solid core swirl (three swirled bands in groups of six) – German 1880 – 1920s

0.75 red agate marble probably by Akro – USA 1920 – 30s

1.8” Victorian ‘dump’ glass marble – made from same glass as dump glass paperweights

1.5” ribbon core marble with tight outer swirls – the inner core made from blue glass overlaid on white, formed like a peeled orange skin – German 1880 – 1920s

0.75” solid core swirl (two colours to each swirl) – German 1880 – 1920s

Thanks

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chuggy

• Members
Marbles anyone?
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 08:29:29 PM »
Great pictures Adam, I'll be picking your brains when I finally get hold of these.
Paul

Offline David555

• Members
Marbles anyone?
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2006, 08:38:49 PM »
No problem Paul

I am OK with basics - when it comes to rare marbles with complex cores and the addition of mica or aventurine I am less sure. Like I have said I know a few collectors who can help out with really rare and obscure ones, some guys are able to tell you who in Germany or Austria made a marble - I can't stretch as far as that.

Looking forward to seeing any pics you get

Adam
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline chuggy

• Members
Marbles anyone?
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2006, 03:13:03 PM »
I managed to get these marbles now, and though I haven't had a chance to sort them all yet here's a couple of pictures of a few to whet the appetites. Please tell me if they are any good or not as I need to sell them all for him.

http://i3.tinypic.com/wri2rb.jpg

http://i3.tinypic.com/wri4ag.jpg

Paul

Offline RAY

• Members
Marbles anyone?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2006, 05:14:52 PM »
there the same as mine Paul
cheers Ray

Offline chuggy

• Members
Marbles anyone?
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2006, 05:54:18 PM »
Is that good or bad Ray?
Paul

Offline RAY

• Members
Marbles anyone?
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2006, 05:59:09 PM »
not sure i know nowt about them, try them under UV light as some of mine glow green
cheers Ray

Offline David555

• Members
Marbles anyone?
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2006, 08:52:11 PM »
Hi Paul

They are mostly c 1920 - 1935s machine made in USA.

Picture one shows a variety of USA made 'Agate / Slag' marbles - the swirled colour marbles look like 'Christensen', 'Peltier', 'Akro' but could also be by a raft of other USA companies - this is the best link you will find http://www.marblealan.com/ (see 'Identification guide' in blue).

The two toned marbles (without clear glass) are very interesting and look like 'Akro Prize Name' marbles.

Picture two 'Agate / Slag' marbles 'Christensen', 'Peltier', 'Akro', etc. (again have a look at site) 'Whirpool Swirls' & 'Two Tone Swirs' perhaps- I don't know what the large striped sphere is (looks interesting) right under it looks like an 'Akro Rainbow'

Very front looks like a 'Core Onionskin' not to sure - is USA 1920s and not a 'Cats Eye'

Most interesting for me is the opaque marble with the clear and coloured 'Eye' sections - I don't know what it is - I am sure the guy that runs the above site will.

It is pretty complex as you will see - so I may be well off :(

You could do worse than send a good selection of JPEGS to guys email at bottom of main page - he has helped me in the past.

Adam P

Offline chuggy

• Members
Marbles anyone?
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2006, 09:00:06 PM »
Thanks Adam, these are really just the tip of a very big iceberg and tomorrow I'm going to gently wash a few and try for some more pictures, but I'm struck by the variety of them. The very large one in the 2nd picture is sone sort of stone and I think will clean up nicely. Thanks for your thoughts which give me a good starting point to go forward from.
Paul

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand