No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lily of the Valley-unidentified so far  (Read 23898 times)

Offline w8happiness

• Members
  • τὰ ἐφ' ἡμῖν
    • paperweights
    • Tyrol,Austria,Europe
Re: Lily of the Valley-unidentified so far
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2013, 08:55:27 PM »
Hello everybody,
the Lily of the Valley weight has laid back into oblivion,
unfortunately there are no messages to shed a little light
on where it was made, and when...-

I'll put it here once again with proper illustration, maybe it
will be recognized by someone one day....or moved to the unresolved box,

cheers Erhard   

GOOD NEWS!!
The hawkeye of flying free gave notice about an ashtray on the electric market place, and I bought it.
It has the "twisted ribbon" and three flowers - green Twist torsade leaves- and has got a
green overlay lid. Watch out! A paperweight related object though- as soon it has arrived,
I'll post some self made pics here... deaf knittely  http://www.glassmessages.com/Smileys/classic/grin.gif  the same maker as the lily o.t.v.!!!
I want to respect the seller's Picture Copyrights so I don't paste anything here head over heels...

Thanks a lot to FLYING FREE- I owe you this fascinating purchase from France- which might be a trace
for further ID ;-))) cheers e.http://www.glassmessages.com/Smileys/classic/grin.gif
EJM

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline w8happiness

• Members
  • τὰ ἐφ' ἡμῖν
    • paperweights
    • Tyrol,Austria,Europe
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2013, 04:52:47 PM »
GOOD NEWS!!
The hawkeye of flying free gave notice about an ashtray on the electric market place, and I bought it.
It has the "twisted ribbon" and three flowers - green Twist torsade leaves- and has got a
green overlay lid. Watch out! A paperweight related object though- as soon it has arrived,
I'll post some self made pics here... deaf knittely  http://www.glassmessages.com/Smileys/classic/grin.gif  the same maker as the lily o.t.v.!!!
I want to respect the seller's Picture Copyrights so I don't paste anything here head over heels...

Thanks a lot to FLYING FREE- I owe you this fascinating purchase from France- which might be a trace
for further ID ;-))) cheers e.http://www.glassmessages.com/Smileys/classic/grin.gif

and bad news: ashtray was broken while being packed- whatever that means-  I agreed to a paperweight as substitute and  got a nice Little Kerry Glass Irish weight---will pass it on a.s.a.p.--- at least, I have asked the seller if I can publish his Pictures, and I'm waiting for his ok, ---;-(( E.
EJM

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2013, 07:06:47 PM »
ooooh noooo!  I can't believe it  :o

Can't they send you the pieces, or at the very least, the piece with the canes in so you can look at it and judge comparison, and see the surrounding glass?
Darn it! unbelievable.
m

Offline w8happiness

• Members
  • τὰ ἐφ' ἡμῖν
    • paperweights
    • Tyrol,Austria,Europe
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2013, 07:54:16 PM »
ooooh noooo!  I can't believe it  :o

Can't they send you the pieces, or at the very least, the piece with the canes in so you can look at it and judge comparison, and see the surrounding glass?
Darn it! unbelievable.
m
yes...hit shappens...I suggested them to send the pieces OR alternatively a paperweight of the same Price class, and did not want to argue further. My personal thought, the ashtray was being watched and bought out during the auction ending, which would be not conform to the auction platform rules, but maybe more profitable... similar is the last second "sniping" done by automatic bidding machines...I have sometimes watched this and find it simply annoying...

what remains, is EVIDENCE that this style is appearing in FRANCE, and is labelled "Murano" in this case - which is 100% wrong; I vote for France(Alsace, or Rive de Gier) or Belgium, 1920-1950.... a Russia option was proved false, as the Russian weights have a different specific weight and UV reaction. Bohemia/Silesia is also ruled out.

Frustration almost gone, Kind regards e.   
EJM

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2013, 08:10:48 PM »
and that was my thought also!   >:(  damn, I have been searching for this since you posted the weight  ;D

Just a question - I am of course aware that glass travels a long way, but I just wondered if you look at where that was being sold from (the region) were there any glassmakers that are known around that area going back in time?

We used to own a house down there, I was only ever aware of wine at the time  ;D not of knowing of any glass specifically, but there is a glassmaker based down there, or was a few years ago, and I recall one town having the maker and a glass gallery etc. so perhaps glass was historic in the region?
Just a thought, because of the type of item.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2013, 08:33:37 PM »
I replied above but just wanted to add, that the applied rim in the different colour is interesting.
I'm not sure how but it might also help id the maker eventually?
If you do get permission to post pictures, it might help to also post it in the General glass board section.
m

Offline w8happiness

• Members
  • τὰ ἐφ' ἡμῖν
    • paperweights
    • Tyrol,Austria,Europe
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2013, 06:33:48 AM »
I replied above but just wanted to add, that the applied rim in the different colour is interesting.
I'm not sure how but it might also help id the maker eventually?
If you do get permission to post pictures, it might help to also post it in the General glass board section.
m
thanks a lot!....yes I checked the region for glass makers- nothing suspicious , but its more TRUFFLE and wine,
the green rim is very interesting- maybe decanter/wine bottles/luxury commemorative glass decoration...
have got written permission to use /publish the pics, and subsequently gave positive feedback, 

kind regards E.
EJM

Offline w8happiness

• Members
  • τὰ ἐφ' ἡμῖν
    • paperweights
    • Tyrol,Austria,Europe
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2013, 04:12:54 PM »
GOOD NEWS!!

Good News part two-
a very experienced colleague from Austria spotted a Lily of the valley weight in an auction in Germany!! It is the usual green spiral stem and leaves, five bell blossoms, and the characteristic spiral ending ribbon underneath. It is on clear ground and labelled "French 19th Century"---of course I will bid along, and have written permission to publish some Pictures they have sent to me- in case I will not win I can/may  place them here...
the auction house was very helpful, but as I am current bidder, I do not want to stir the Pond too much...
Furthermore, Mr. Jean Wurtz from France sent me a very Kind letter, saying that he saw weights of this design and
with a Determination- Givors glass works, south of Lyon, France....I really hope this will be confirmed or corrected some day,
Kind regards, Erhard 
EJM

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2013, 06:41:40 PM »

Hi Erhard.  I have corresponded with Jean Wurz about these pieces in the past, and had the suggestion of Rive-de-Giers (about 10 km from Givors) as maker.  I was also given Rive-de-Giers as the source of a fairly dull paperweight I bought in Annecy a few years ago, by the shop owner.  There were certainly glass factories in the 19th century in the valley that leads from Givors to St Etienne, and there are records of them importing large numbers of workers from Murano.  Sadly, no records of paperweights to date!

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline w8happiness

• Members
  • τὰ ἐφ' ἡμῖν
    • paperweights
    • Tyrol,Austria,Europe
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2013, 10:52:05 AM »
Hi Alan! Wonderful- thanks a lot! I have found that a very big historical glass making site with buildings and infrastructure in this Region was destroyed recently- so maybe only written record /catalogs/photos etc. are remaining?

I have a vague suspect that this group of products may be friggers from a post classic era before WW II (1920/30), partly from the "naive/sauvage/folk art" appearance, and partly from the small numbers that show up, totally different compared to others late French weights such as the so called Baccarat Dupont, made in this era... and other French production obviously started again in the 1950ies, so this "folk art" group would fill a gap at least,

Kind regards e.
EJM

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand