No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lily of the Valley-unidentified so far  (Read 23939 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Lily of the Valley-unidentified so far
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2014, 08:12:49 AM »
Brought back from a French holiday as a souvenir?  (of course they may have just travelled the world courtesy of ebay)

Do you know any French dealers who may have come across these more regularly than once as it were?

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2014, 08:52:22 AM »
Another Lily of the Valley to add to the examples.  A recent Purchase from an auction house in Ottowa Canada. 

lol.....Ottawa

Hi and thanks a lot!

A very exciting find indeed! What makes me wonder is the fact that we
must add CANADA to our list of appearance on the market, so what we
have had of countries so far was

Germany, Northern England, France, United States (?)  and now Canada

Kind regards E. 

BBM

Thank You!!

Yes, Canada should be added.  I have said that (and so have others) a long time ago too.

Yeah, I am from there......LOL   ;D 
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Krecik

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Paperweights
    • USA
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2014, 02:22:08 PM »
lol.....Ottawa

Apologies from a southern neighbor.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2014, 02:54:19 PM »

Hi.  We got our best Bacchus from Canada some years ago, and also (later) one of the original Belgian frit footballer upright paperweights. I guess quite a few pieces travelled with immigrants.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline w8happiness

• Members
  • τὰ ἐφ' ἡμῖν
    • paperweights
    • Tyrol,Austria,Europe
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2014, 03:34:56 PM »
Hi Alan,

yes that's in fact an aspect worth tracking- probably it helps a bit
for a date frame? Maybe yes- exiles happened before and during
wartimes, so in this case maybe before WW1 or before WW 2...
French speaking Canada - French paperweight? Could be...

In the late 19th century, when the USA was chosen a lot-
for that reason so many of the "Bohemian-Silesian-old German" postclassic (after 1850) weights are found
in Pennsylvania, the Grand Lake Area and further
to the West... somehow proven by crosscheck with Wikipedias
Immigration maps...

At this Point, I am glad to see that the discussion has resurrected, in this sense ;-)
a happy Easter time to you all, 

Kind regards, Erhard
EJM

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2015, 08:13:06 AM »
Have you checked out C.H.F. Muller, Hamburg?

Thinking:
I was going through this
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=qq1Z0EASop4C&pg=PA322&lpg=PA322&dq=identifying+glass+from+the+buquoy+glass+factory+at+the+Nove+Hrady+estate+in+the+17th+century&source=bl&ots=9qhevzDvYi&sig=ptvhpfl8aKlkYhEXrCqhJdfiKIs&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAWoVChMIkdGk59eRyAIVIyrbCh0hhQ1_#v=onepage&q=identifying%20glass%20from%20the%20buquoy%20glass%20factory%20at%20the%20Nove%20Hrady%20estate%20in%20the%2017th%20century&f=false

and got to page 65 and saw a design (No.21 foliage on bowl) that reminded me of your paperweight.  The colours in the twisted cane with the yellow just make me think Germany rather than France, so an instinct rather than any real evidence  ;D and I remember why I'd been so interested in the canes on the pieces I saw on Monday in Amsterdam - it was because the way the twist was done reminded me of the twist in this weight.

Glaskilian shows this piece which might give you an idea why I thought of your cane.
http://www.glaskilian.de/Seltenes_Fluegelglas.185+B6YmFja1BJRD0xODUmTD0xJnByb2R1Y3RJRD0xOTgwNSZwaWRfcHJvZHVjdD0xODUmZGV0YWlsPQ__.98.html

I know nothing about these canes or anything though so I'm sorry if this is a red herring and not relevant.

m

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2015, 08:33:09 AM »

Hi.  Interesting documents, but I struggle to make any link between a design painted in enamels on glass (page 65 to which you refer), and a solid encapsulated glass paperweight (the theme of this thread) - other than the simple inclusion of something with twists in it, in each case.  As even the Romans used twists in their glass designs, I doubt that the presence of a twist helps much.  Or have I missed something, or looked at the wrong item?

Alan

Alan

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2015, 09:45:31 AM »
I can't explain my thought processes or what stirs our imagination into thinking there might be a link Alan.  It just does.

Kevin pointed out either earlier in this thread or on another thread, that the way the twist was done was particular.  Something about the Muller glasses I saw on Monday made me stop and take a close look, but at the time I couldn't remember what it was that made me do so.  It was the style of the twists (likewise the style of the twists on the stem of the goblets of some 17th century Venetian glass - but they would be the wrong century).  Because they stirred my memory about the style of the twist on the lily of the valley paperweight.   I meant to post then but forgot.

CHF Muller was not a company I'd read anything about before so I looked them up when I got back.  They made some very very interesting and diverse stuff.

I meant to post on this thread then but forgot.

Then I was reading about something else and came across the enamelled glass again.  The design on the enamels of the flowers and the twists and the colours in the decoration reminded me again of the twist on the Muller stems and so I posted.

Sometimes, it's the little details that can lead to a new avenue to explore.  That's why I posted.

I don't believe paperweight makers work completely in isolation, never to be influenced by regional ideas, colours or styles whether on wood, porcelain or enamel. Who is to know what makes someone design a paperweight with a specific decoration?  It could be they saw a piece (any piece, wood, glass, pottery, or a painting) in a museum/exhibition and liked the colours, or the design. It might be that they had their own firm ideas but had to use the materials available in the region.  Either way,  it is possible that there are some regional influences. 

In this case the colours on the design on the enamelled piece and the twist in the stem of the glass made me think Germany and CFH Muller all within the same few days  (and Muller actually might have been right timing for the period),  so I thought I would post - kind of like brain-storming really where no idea is a wrong idea if you see what I mean?

Edited to add - I thought this post was posted in the spirit of 'let's see if there are any ideas out there'.  I guess how new ideas are viewed depends on the angle they are being viewed from i.e. if you already have firm ideas of where the weight might hail from, then your view of 'new' ideas will be coloured by whether or not they fit the given secret parameters of the country of origin.  If however there are no firm parameters and there is still everything to play for then it's open for all avenues to explored. 

m

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2015, 10:54:01 AM »

Hi.  I have no firm ideas about where these 'Lily of the Valley' paperweights come from...somewhere in Europe, I feel, rather than the USA or China.  On present evidence, I would not rule out Germany.

Alan

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2015, 11:02:42 AM »
oops that should read
C.H.F. Müller
Sorry.  This is the best picture I have - embarrassingly bad but their lighting was terrible and I was trying to photograph other pieces so bad setting.
The online version I found is even worse - in black and white and does not enlarge.
The twist is actually red white and blue and is not the same as the weight, but still,something about it reminded me of the weight.
This is a link to the online versions - they did produce a catalogue at the time, of their glasses so that might be around somewhere.
http://www.europeana.eu/portal/search.html?query=who%3a(M%C3%BCller,%20Glasfabriek%20C.H.F.%20?%20(glasblazer))&rows=24

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand