No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lily of the Valley-unidentified so far  (Read 23743 times)

Offline w8happiness

• Members
  • τὰ ἐφ' ἡμῖν
    • paperweights
    • Tyrol,Austria,Europe
Lily of the Valley-unidentified so far
« on: February 28, 2013, 07:29:20 AM »
The last weight in 2012 - I bought it right before Christmas- is a "Lily of the Valley" weight and it resists to attribution, I bothered a couple of colleagues already and found out, that there are some similar examples in their collections out there:
ca. 5 in Germany, one in Austria, and one in France, finally two in the USA.
To prevent any influence to your suggestions, I leave all the known discussion results out and
add pictures and metric data for your consideration...
I have put this topic here, because it is not really an unresolved case - just a search for more examples and ideas! 

Measures: 2,6 in diameter, 1,8 in high, SG 2,61, UV long wave shows a clear pink.
The SG of 2,61 refers to the actual measure result,  and will be more towards 2,7 owed to the numerous bubbles...

To give an idea of shape and size, the weight in question is shown paired up with a
nice little Perthshire PP2, before 1978, - this decision is random choice !! Questions: Are there weights like this in your collection?
Where did you find them?
Any idea how old and where they are from?

I would like to ask the Glass Message Community
for further reports and comments and any ideas for attribution.
New results will be eventually published in the Paperweight Collectors Circle News and -depending on what will occur, in the PCA Bulletin...
Thanks and kind regards from Austria, Erhard
EJM

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline SimonD

• Members
Re: Lily of the Valley-unidentified so far
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 09:00:04 AM »
I have recently seen another example (since the New Year, and almost identical to this one) in an antique centre in the north of England. Same twists and the characteristic lampwork floating on the colour ground.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline w8happiness

• Members
  • τὰ ἐφ' ἡμῖν
    • paperweights
    • Tyrol,Austria,Europe
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 09:28:48 AM »
Hello and thanks a lot Simon,

I must add I bought the weight in an online shop in Newark/Nottinghamshire,
the place with the biggest (?) antique fair in Europe...

I do not know if they remove a pic of a sold article, kind regards Erhard...

....made a quick check - the picture is not online any more...
EJM

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 03:36:40 PM »
Massive amount of bubbles. Is it a sign of how good the chinese are getting?

Offline w8happiness

• Members
  • τὰ ἐφ' ἡμῖν
    • paperweights
    • Tyrol,Austria,Europe
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 08:13:43 PM »
...the Chinese option also was also pondered; but- the massive bubbles are only situated in the thin blue flash layer, and as decoration on the blossoms;  the glass for the surrounding dome and base is perfectly clear; and then: the pontil mark (see picture) reminds much more of Vasart (in this case without grinding as they have normally) or Strathearn...UV reaction does not fit to any Chinese - and I like some of these- they made attractive white grounds and fascinating single flowers; moreover,
most Chinese have a frosted or plain polished base with irregularities- are there any with broken pontils of that kind?
...and if it really was Chinese, why doesn't this type appear more often? I'd try to get more of those!
The glass is of excellent brilliance and SG near 2,7 is too heavy for most Chinese weights' SG...
The pontil mark is slim and the base plain and concave - does this point at a glassmaker who is familiar with making wine glasses?   Let's see...I'm most excited to hear what our moderator will say about the pontil mark!

Erhard
EJM

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 01:33:04 AM »
Erhard, if by "our moderator" you mean me, then I would prefer to see more detail of the pontil mark from a straight-on viewpoint. But I agree that the finishing of the base is unlike Chinese work.

I have seen at least one weight like this before but cannot recall when or where. I have checked a couple of Chinese trade catalogues from 2000 and there is nothing like these weights in those.

On the point of "fascinating single flowers" from China, while browsing the trade catalogues, I spotted two weights that I had not really noticed in detail before: one is a single flower with stem and leaves set in a blue stave basket ... just like a Paul Ysart design! The other is a "spread" of flower heads and stems with a garland of alternating millefiri canes and filigree twists set "horizontally" ... another Paul Ysart design known from his early weights!
KevinH

Offline w8happiness

• Members
  • τὰ ἐφ' ἡμῖν
    • paperweights
    • Tyrol,Austria,Europe
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 10:28:58 AM »
Thank you very much, Kevin- yes, sounds possessive- but you are our moderator!
attached a straight view of the pontil picture;
Can you please show a pic of the Chinysart single flowers??-
 I have a big (over 3 in) round one
from the late 80ies, an orange lily blossom with 8 petals and 8 yellow stamen, and 8 peripheral bubbles,
simple, but effective, over clear ground, frosted base. It bears a plastic label HOFF INTERIEUR (this is/was a German firm trading with gifts and decoration of all kinds).   
Attached also a picture of a 3 " Chinese Murano- won it 2002- my favourite so far- as it is mimicking a French Classic posy weight, I suppose. Frosted base, high dome...
Thanks and kind regards, Erhard
EJM

Offline SimonD

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 07:11:50 PM »
Erhard, I think the weight I saw was the very same one you purchased, just that I'm confused about the date. -Simon

Offline w8happiness

• Members
  • τὰ ἐφ' ἡμῖν
    • paperweights
    • Tyrol,Austria,Europe
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 08:03:42 PM »
Thanks a lot Simon, I checked my payment was made the 21st Nov 2012 and the weight arrived a week to ten days later.
Maybe the shop left the picture online for a while...
A colleague from Germany saw one at a Boisgirard auction/Paris, some time ago, I'll try to find out when, but it was attributed Bohemian as far as he remembers  (which is judged questionable/not proven) 
-Erhard

EJM

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand