No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Art deco vase..not Sowerby?  (Read 2153 times)

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
Art deco vase..not Sowerby?
« on: February 28, 2013, 11:05:10 AM »
I found this lovely pink glass vase yesterday it was filthy when I bought it and I thought it was a large  Sowerby C2583. But when I washed it I realised the pattern is different. Any ideas who made this one please?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
Re: Art deco vase..not Sowerby?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 11:48:16 AM »
Should have mentioned this vase measures 8.5 inches wide and 7.5 high  :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 04:10:53 PM »
certainly looks like 2583 at a quick glance, but you'e right it doesn't match with the body pattern.           I've had a look on Pamela's pres-glasspavillon, but doesn't seem anyone else made pieces that come that close in design  -  these 'fingers' are very distinctive.      It's difficult finding a high quality picture of a 2583 with feet, in order to make a comparison, but I think the Sowerby pieces do have notches like yours.    Assume yours didn't come with a block and plinth.           
Most of these 2583 designs seem to have been made in two distinct forms..........with flat /pedestal bases and again with the four separate 'arch shaped' legs.
When they're made without legs - and have the fingers pointing upward, I believe they're called Lily Vases.         Quite a coincidence, I found a uranium example of a 2583  yesterday (about 5.25" to the top of the fingers) and that was missing the block and plinth as well - hope you don't object to me attaching a pic Angela ;)
For some reason I'm unaware of, the outside indent of each finger is frosted (hope you can make this out in the pic)  -  maybe that's where these points were mechanically pushed upward.?

Have you tried Pamela's musterbuch catalogues - tedious I know, but always a possiblity you'll find your design, and do you have the Sowerby CD's?
P.S.   Anyone got a uranium block and the right size black plinth?? ;D

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 05:16:59 PM »
thanks for your reply Paul, no mine didn't come with a block or plinth but I have a few Sowerby pinths and it is too large to fit on them, the feet diameter is 11.5 cms. I have the Sowerby cd's and couldn't find it on them. the feet are very finely finished with chamfered edges and the notches are decreasing arches, very fancy. I think you are right I am going to have to search through Pamela's catalogues. The more I look at it the more I like it !! ;D
 There are a number of black Sowerby plinths on Ebay at the moment ;) By the way didn't get your pic !

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 07:13:59 PM »
uhmmmm - senility creeping in - again :'(          sorry, I'll try again.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 08:49:34 PM »
A little danger here of me confusing the issue, so just to clarify the Sowerby side of things..............

In Simon Cottle's book on Sowerby, he reproduces a plate of designs from Pattern Book 30 dated December 1933, which appears to be the first list in which these unusual shaped pieces occur (this is page 4 from 1933 on the CD)  -  colours available are given as Flint, Amber, Green, Rosalin, and Powder Blue  -  described as Table Centres, and all bowls seem to be classed as design No. 2505 (although two pieces are without a design No. but I'm assuming all the same in view of the design),  and each supplied with a black plinth (two separate designs).          None of these has feet, and all are either simply round bases, or on a standard pedestal base.
All four variations of the bowl have eight points on the flange, and each point is separated by a smaller point.        It would appear that 2505 continued in production until at least 1956, being offered in the same lists as 2583.           

The four footed variation doesn't appear until page 4 in the late 1930's list, where it's described as design No. 2583 and appears for the first time that I can see - the examples shown are without a plinth.             However, 2583 is to be seen sitting on plinths in subsequent lists, although visually the pairing looks clumsy and footed pieces look better without the plinth.       
Presumably this heavily flanged and unusual pattern was successful - the main difference between the two is that 2583 has been re-designed to have feet, although there are other more subtle differences.         Both of the Sowerby designs have an eight pointed flange, which is the most noticable difference when compared to yours Angela, since yours has 12 points.         

Both 2505 and 2583 are conspicuous pieces - they look weird yet attractive, and I must have seen loads over the past few years - yesterday's being the only example I've bought though, and that only because it was uranium.

None of which helps you Angela, and hope you will forgive the rambling, but thought I needed to correct some of my earlier comments which were incorrect.
Maybe the design was so succesful that it was lifted by another factory. :)
If I have any of the above wrong - please say so :)

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 09:00:19 PM »
I think you are quite right, I have a number of the Sowerby vases like yours,curled down and straight in green and amber I also have a blue 2570 rose bowl which also has 4 feet which are stepped but not like this pink vase. I am sure I have seen this pattern on another vase possibly a straight vase without the curling twelve points. I am working my way through the catalogues :P

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 03:43:44 PM »
I have taken a picture of the pink vase with a well known Sowerby one to give you an idea of scale and to show the feet   :D

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 03:58:56 PM »
Just had a look at all my Sowerby vases and the Mercury Vase has same feet!!

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 05:18:03 PM »
sorry, don't think I've entirely understood your comments - are you suggesting that all of the Sowerby pieces have feet similar to each other, but that Sowerby feet differ from your 'pink' bowl? 
Nice pieces by the way :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand