No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: I don't even know where to begin to identify this.  (Read 1327 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: I don't even know where to begin to identify this.
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 07:29:01 PM »
When a piece of glass is art, it does not have to be functional - it just is what it is.
I reckon the real problem is;
Is it supposed to be roughly textured all over - satinated - produced by acid or sandblasting; a feature often found in glass, so would having it polished up (possibly an expensive proceedure) reveal something underneath - or ruin it forever. :-\

Sometimes also, with modern art, you can't tell if it's something functional somebody has left in a corridor or an "installation".

(says she, who very gingerly stepped over an arrangement of mats which were colourful material fishies lying on the floor in a museum last week - and studying their (potential) artistic merit while doing so, only to come back later and find a load of schoolchildren lying on them to take their class! "Installations" don't tend to do much for me.  ::) )

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline pamohearn

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • found items
    • United States of America
Re: I don't even know where to begin to identify this.
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 07:45:57 PM »
the satinizing is a question. I did find it on the beach, so would expect it to be tumbled. The inside, though is totally glassy-polished, but I don't know what would happen to the inside of a bottle that got tumbled naturally. I've only ever found broken things on the beach.  The satiny finish, though, does obscure the blue ribbon in the green. I can only see it if I look at it with light shining through it. That makes me think that it was unintentional.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand