Looking for Glass on ebay? Angela's Designer Searches can help! Click here!

Author Topic: I don't even know where to begin to identify this.  (Read 409 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
Re: I don't even know where to begin to identify this.
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 07:29:01 PM »
When a piece of glass is art, it does not have to be functional - it just is what it is.
I reckon the real problem is;
Is it supposed to be roughly textured all over - satinated - produced by acid or sandblasting; a feature often found in glass, so would having it polished up (possibly an expensive proceedure) reveal something underneath - or ruin it forever. :-\

Sometimes also, with modern art, you can't tell if it's something functional somebody has left in a corridor or an "installation".

(says she, who very gingerly stepped over an arrangement of mats which were colourful material fishies lying on the floor in a museum last week - and studying their (potential) artistic merit while doing so, only to come back later and find a load of schoolchildren lying on them to take their class! "Installations" don't tend to do much for me.  ::) )

Cheers, Sue (M)

“All things are subject to interpretation. Whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.” Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline pamohearn

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • found items
    • United States of America
Re: I don't even know where to begin to identify this.
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 07:45:57 PM »
the satinizing is a question. I did find it on the beach, so would expect it to be tumbled. The inside, though is totally glassy-polished, but I don't know what would happen to the inside of a bottle that got tumbled naturally. I've only ever found broken things on the beach.  The satiny finish, though, does obscure the blue ribbon in the green. I can only see it if I look at it with light shining through it. That makes me think that it was unintentional.

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Enter key words
Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com