Looking for Glass on ebay? Angela's Designer Searches can help! Click here!

Author Topic: I don't even know where to begin to identify this.  (Read 401 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
Re: I don't even know where to begin to identify this.
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 07:29:01 PM »
When a piece of glass is art, it does not have to be functional - it just is what it is.
I reckon the real problem is;
Is it supposed to be roughly textured all over - satinated - produced by acid or sandblasting; a feature often found in glass, so would having it polished up (possibly an expensive proceedure) reveal something underneath - or ruin it forever. :-\

Sometimes also, with modern art, you can't tell if it's something functional somebody has left in a corridor or an "installation".

(says she, who very gingerly stepped over an arrangement of mats which were colourful material fishies lying on the floor in a museum last week - and studying their (potential) artistic merit while doing so, only to come back later and find a load of schoolchildren lying on them to take their class! "Installations" don't tend to do much for me.  ::) )

Cheers, Sue (M)

“All things are subject to interpretation. Whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.” Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline pamohearn

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • found items
    • United States of America
Re: I don't even know where to begin to identify this.
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 07:45:57 PM »
the satinizing is a question. I did find it on the beach, so would expect it to be tumbled. The inside, though is totally glassy-polished, but I don't know what would happen to the inside of a bottle that got tumbled naturally. I've only ever found broken things on the beach.  The satiny finish, though, does obscure the blue ribbon in the green. I can only see it if I look at it with light shining through it. That makes me think that it was unintentional.

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand