No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ink bottle attribution please  (Read 1295 times)

Offline Roger H

• Members
Ink bottle attribution please
« on: March 04, 2013, 06:34:16 AM »
Hi there, bought this very recently at a reasonable price and have done the normal surveying through Bobs O/E book and personally come to the conclusion it is a late date Walsh Walsh. There are some interesting canes in the setup. What do you think?
       Regards Roger.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mjr

• Members
Re: Ink bottle attribution please
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 07:54:14 AM »
at first glance - and being at work (yes - some of us still have to do it!!!) so unable to reference my own - it looks like whitefriars - particularly in profile and the setting of the canes - but I may be completely wrong .  Does it not have a stopper??
Martin

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 08:59:17 AM »
Thanks for the reply Martin, I am supposed to be at work also but i'm self employed and waiting for the starting gun, the canes I was refering to were the 7/6 or window canes, whichever they are, in the second row from centre. They are walsh canes I understand but did they carry into the whitefriars making. It is quite good glass and the colours did look vibrant enough for whitefriars,yes. 
     There is a very matching stopper but its badly damaged. 
      In the bottle there are also the pink canes which I cannot find a reference to at all.
           Regards Roger.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 09:50:52 AM »

Hi.  To add to the point about Walsh Walsh linking to Whitefriars, we know that the two companies collaborated in their lighting department in the late 1940s, and when Walsh Walsh closed in 1950 is it likely that some of the workers moved to Whitefriars.  It was only in 1951 that Whitefriars started to produce any quantity of millefiori paperweights, with the '1951 Triplex' examples.  It is also reported that a New England dealer bought two crates of millefiori items from Wealdstone around 1950, some with '1848' dates, and took these back to sell in the USA.  My guess is that these were unsold stock from Walsh Walsh. It was these items that were sold in the USA as 'antique Whitefriars', giving rise to that enduring myth.

There are one or two unusual bottles around which are probably from Whitefriars, but with input from Walsh Walsh workers(I referred to this in another thread, and promised images - here they are).  The reason I suggest that mixture is that some of the canes in the bottle appear to have been made in the moulds that were later used for the canes in the 1951 Triplex and 1953 EIIR paperweights, rather than typical Walsh Walsh moulds, yet there are, in the base of the bottle, canes with '7/6' centres. I suspect these were made at Whitefriars by ex Walsh Walsh workers.

My bottle has a foot, and the outer row of canes is pulled under slightly - but it does not have the typical Whitefriars button base.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 10:46:31 PM »
Hi all, just another little interesting factor to this thread.  I have now taken  photos of the stopper which is badly damaged of course.   A knopped stem to it, unusual or not?  I haven't dealt with too many ink bottles as yet.
         Regards Roger.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand