No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Orrefors (?) Decanter. ID = Likely false coding on partial Orrefors shape item!  (Read 619 times)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
I will post pics first as I dont know if it will work.
Now I finally get the pictures to load I can ask if anyone can date this or give a designer. The letter A says it is Olle Alberius and pre 1980 well thats what I see it as with my limited knowledge. I was a little unsure about the name and code being genuine as well. There are mineral deposits on the inside sadly. I cant find this shape of decanter either. Any help appreciated
Pete. :-)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Re: Orrefors Decanter
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 09:57:10 AM »
Thanks  ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 10:42:58 AM »
[You do know that you can edit your posts for an hour after posting...]

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 09:09:44 PM »
Hi,

The decanter looks based on an Orrefors pre-WWII style. However, decanters in this style usually had a foot and a lip, and always at least one of the two.  The signature doesn't doesn't looks terribly convincing, and also isn't consistent with how Orrefors applied their codes. "A," or more usually "OA," for Olle Alberius would come before the numbers. The letter after the number usually indicated engraver, and I can't see any engraving on here.

Is the stopper ground or is there a plastic sleeve?

If I had to give an opinion, I'd say not Orrefors, at least not Orrefors the factory we know.  Orrefors is also the name of a place and you can find glass with that name on it that wasn't made in the factory.

I hope this helps a little.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 11:11:44 PM »
I have seen the name in a few styles but this one had me at 50 50. Just a niggling doubt that wouldn't go away. The stopper is all glas and fits as it should. Will be home tomorrow and let you know. Thanks

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 06:06:24 PM »
Thanks Langhaugh. It didnt sit right with me at all. It was cheap enough so no damage done. I now know more about orrefors and codes which is always a bonus. Looking at the base it does not seem to have any real age. Every time I picked it up I thought it was just not a good shape or comfortable, nothing to do with real or not just that the neck was the only place to hold it and it was a bit slippy and thin, two handed would be the only way to use it. If the mods could amend the title to add 'Fake' it would serve as a reference. I have two smoked glasses I was going to put it with but realised this is green and they were more brown smoked.....I hate the energy saving bulbs  >:(   Thanks again.  Pete

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
I have amended the thread title but avoided the use of the specific "fake" word.
KevinH

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Thanks Kevin, fair comment , as they say "it is what it is" :-).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand