No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help With Candleholders ID : Bagley Duchess 3103  (Read 3870 times)

Offline sophie4

• Members
Help With Candleholders ID : Bagley Duchess 3103
« on: April 22, 2006, 08:09:47 PM »
Hi,

I haven't been able to ID this set of candleholders for weeks. I have searched everywhere and can not find anything even similar. I was hoping someone on this board might be able to help.  They are about 5 1/8" tall, have a  3 footed base with a sawtooth type edge. There are pressed stars on the top with vertical bars below.  Could this set possibly be English or could they just be an inexpensive pair of junk?

http://i3.tinypic.com/w7jwcy.jpg
http://i3.tinypic.com/w7jzpi.jpg

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your time.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Help With Candleholders ID : Bagley
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 08:04:21 AM »
Hi Sophie, Welcome to the board. Where are you? Add it to your profile , it can sometimes help with glass ID. I've seen these candleholders before, several times, so they coud be English or maybe Czech. Hopefully someone else has a better idea

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 09:33:50 AM »
Hi Sophie & Christine,

And welcome to the GMB, Sophie.   As you will see if you look at the member list we have members in all corners of the world, even in Milton Keynes!   As Christine said, it helps to know what part of the world you are in.

Your candlesticks are Bagley pattern No. 3103, launched 1939, subsequently named Duchess in their 1953 trade catalogue.   They were usually sold as part of the 7-piece 3103 trinket set (tray, 1 large & 2 small lidded powder bowls, ring stand, and 2 candlesticks).

Source:- Bowey, Parsons & Parsons, 2004.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline sophie4

• Members
thank you.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 12:25:49 PM »
Thank you so much for the quick replies and the ID.  I have been searching for a couple of weeks for an ID and was not successful. I found this website during my searching and this was my last effort before I tossed them.  I'm from the US. I'll see if I can figure out how edit it  so my location always shows up.  Thank you again.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 12:45:58 PM »
Hi Sophie Click on the profile button at the very top of the page. You can then edit it. And I should I have known the answer, I've got the book!

Offline sophie4

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 12:54:32 PM »
I will do that, thanks. Can you tell me the best book to purchase for English glass. I looked through all my books and and never found it. I was going insane looking for it.  

We have quite a bit of glass items that was going to be thrown out of family member's house since everyone else thought it was junk. I knew better and it's all in my basement. I have been able to ID some of it. I've kept some, sold other pieces. It looks like there might be some English pieces too. I hate to bother people on the board if I had a good English glass book and I could do it myself.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 01:55:32 PM »
Bothering people about glass is what the board is for Sophie :D

Please do list any items here you're not sure about as often someone will know what they are - and the rest of us get to learn something new as well. ;)

Edited to add a pic of the Duchess candlesticks back into this topic as the OP's photos have been munched by TinyPic.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand