No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: For show vase with pincered lattice Venice & Murano Glass Company or Salviati  (Read 4262 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Fabulous bit of glass this, my first thought was Salviati but several other examples with the same shape were made by the Venice and Murano Glass Company. Typically thin and lightweight, the photos make it look quite blue, in the flesh it tends more towards black, 13 x 13cm. The foot is hollow, construction is interesting.

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/185978
https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/185982

John

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
There is a pontil mark, the round faint scare around the open hole in the foot - not seen this before.

Offline Greg.

• Members
That's lovely John, particularly like the deep colour and applied clear glass decoration. Presume this is a similar ish date to the others in your links, around 1880?

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
That is my assumption for a date, with little else to go on at present in way of comparison. I don't think the lattice was applied as such, pretty sure the bowl was blown into the lattice like a cage (after the lattice was attached to the foot).

Vincenzo Moretti had worked for Salviati before moving to the Venice and Murano Glass Company at around this time.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
That's lovely John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I am very, very taken by this piece.  ;)
I love it. ;D
As to Moretti moving between companies, I am very much reminded of the history of Carltonware and Wedgwood and the matter of them fighting with each other over the highly talented enamel paintresses who could be tempted to the other company by better wages in the earlier parts of the 20th century.
Around the time of the Fairyland Lustreware Wedgwood made.
The official history tells of one time a factory owner actually chased a girl who was walking out, picked her up and carried her bodily back into his factory.
The factories were just across the road from each other - the proximity allowed the workers to try to get themselves slightly better conditions.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
Think that is lovely  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum