No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Amber "Optic" Vases  (Read 2495 times)

Offline horochar

• Members
Amber "Optic" Vases
« on: April 23, 2006, 10:15:49 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, I believe these "optic" sorts of vases are often seen with "Made in Italy" stickers.  I'm assuming they're not super old.  Both have an  textured, almost pebbled base.  The one on the left is composed of very thin glass, the one on the right is much heavier.  Any thoughts on maker and vintage?
Thanks as always.
Charles.

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Amber "Optic" Vases
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 11:21:49 PM »
More likely Italian (not Murano), probably from Empoli near Florence. Use search to see other items made there and read more about it.

Base suggests made in some numbers.
Date - anytime post '45 but most likely 60s onwards.....but I could be wrong.
Pete

Offline horochar

• Members
Amber "Optic" Vases
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 03:36:25 AM »
Thanks Peter.  That seems to make sense.  The odd thing is that the one is so much heavier/thicker than the other, yet having so much in common.  That, and the fact that it has handles and a slightly more sophisticated look made me think it might be a decent Murano piece.  Not to denigrate Empoli or other non-Murano Italian glass.  Here are some pix of a canary yellow "Toscany" pitcher, a piece from my collection that I cherish.

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Amber "Optic" Vases
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 08:56:18 PM »
Here are some pix of a canary yellow "Toscany" pitcher, a piece from my collection that I cherish.

Where ?  :?  :roll:
Ahhh there they are ....took ages to download from tinypic.
I recommend this http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=10 for your pics in future. Use "Upload File" - there is also much space for annotation.

Well Charles, thank you for posting this lovely yellow jug.
This is the first time I have seen an Empoli label and I'm very impressed with the originality / artistry of this item. I am also a big fan of yellow glass. Nice one !

This shatters several pre-conceptions about Empoli and shows that we (I) need to broaden my estimation of production there.

This looks like a hand mold-blown piece. Please confirm.
What is your estimation of the quality ? ...."feel" ?
Pete

Offline horochar

• Members
Amber "Optic" Vases
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 10:11:09 PM »
It's purely hand blown, not mold blown.  The quality is very good to excellent, with relatively thick glass, like Blenko (not tinny).  Also has a pontil mark on bottom.  The yellow is vibrant, almost electric.  It looks like, but isn't, vaseline glass (I black light tested it).  Another interesting thing maybe not noticeable in pictures is that the color is semi-opaque.  I've seen this foil label on a couple of other heavier pieces; I have or had an unremarkable piece in smoke glass with this label.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand