No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Frosted & clear crystal animals: Nachtmann, Goebel  (Read 14040 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Frosted & clear crystal animals: Nachtmann, Goebel
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 08:07:49 PM »
Ivo,

Didn't Nachtmann close down or get taken over recently. I remember trying to get hold of their catalogues a week after their archive all went on a skip

Sklounion

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 08:58:34 PM »
No-body should be surprised at any glass appearing with some-one else having their name on it. Last night Peter (Paradisetrader) and I were discussing Sevres-marked glass, but it is made for this famous porcelain house, by none other than Daum Freres. Manufacturers producing only for the advertising market, will produce glass for any-one, so why not major glass companies???
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 09:18:15 PM »
Quote from: "Frank"
Ivo,

Didn't Nachtmann close down or get taken over recently. I remember trying to get hold of their catalogues a week after their archive all went on a skip

http://www.nachtmann.com/start/de

they were taken over by Riedel in 2004

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2005, 09:24:52 PM »
Quote from: "Le Casson"
No-body should be surprised at any glass appearing with some-one else having their name on it. Last night Peter (Paradisetrader) and I were discussing Sevres-marked glass, but it is made for this famous porcelain house, by none other than Daum Freres. Manufacturers producing only for the advertising market, will produce glass for any-one, so why not major glass companies???
Regards,
Marcus

I can assure you that Sèvres and Daum are two brands which are made by CFC in their modern production facility in Vannes-le-Chatel; some Daum is still made in Nancy. The Sèvres cristal has no relation to the porcelain.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2005, 09:27:16 PM »
I agree with you Marcus. It seems a common practice in glass (for many years).

I think in some divisions of Ceramics as well (Spanish?).

My rug company 'Black Cat Studio' has range/ranges that are exclusive to us. We do whole ranges for other companies, but they are always different designs if they are going to put their label on them. It is that way through the whole surface pattern industry.

The glass industry seems looser and much more communicative on a whole. I wish the textile industry was like that, any sniff of a copyrighted design element in an other companies work and there’s a huge court case. There is no love lost between any of our competitors never mind a good working relationship :cry:

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Sklounion

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2005, 09:45:19 PM »
Hi Ivo,
CFC = something other than Chloro-fluoro-carbons, so????
Vannes-le-Chatel = Vannes Cristal also???
regards,
Marcus

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2005, 09:51:39 PM »
Anne E.B

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2005, 07:57:15 AM »
Quote from: "Le Casson"
Hi Ivo,
CFC = something other than Chloro-fluoro-carbons, so????
Vannes-le-Chatel = Vannes Cristal also???
regards,
Marcus

Right, you've guessed it: Compagnie Francaise de Cristal. And yes, Vannes - where you will also find CERFAV, the "Centre européen de recherches et de formation aux arts verriers". It is a small world...

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2006, 12:51:14 PM »
I somehow landed on this old thread while looking for something else !
Just as interesting reading the second time and ................
I sold a clear eagle which I have now found out is by Crystal D'Arques.

The modelling on it was very good ...I would not have imagined them to be the maker.

Pete

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand