No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Decanter RD 728815 – precise registration details, please?  (Read 4447 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Pressed glass decanter, 12 inches tall. RD 728815.

Number not at http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/regnos08.htm

Should have been registered in April 1927.

Is the number in the Blue Book? If so, could some kind GMB member tell me the precise registration details, please?

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Decanter RD 728815 – precise registration details, please?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 12:23:07 AM »
Sorry can't help this time the, book goes to 728812 and then jumps to a higher number. ::)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 08:28:02 AM »
Thank you for looking anyway, Keith.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 01:57:31 PM »
Known as cordial decanters these were posh bottles, possibly sold at Christmas time.   Before 1914 they were made in Germany, later Anywhere, Europe, with the designs registered by British factors like JC Cottle.   Some had stoppers to match the design, others used standard stoppers, of which yours is the best known.   A GMB search on "Cordial Decanters" will reveal others.

A collection of these can be built up quite inexpensively, knowing that you will never find them all as early German examples are quite difficult to find.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 02:02:40 PM »
I will look at the Kew records for this Rd. No., on my next visit Fred.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 02:23:21 PM »
Thank you, Bernard. I fully expected this to be a JC Cottle or Jules Lang & Son registration (and, in fact, there are quite a few registrations from both registrants from February 1927 to June 1927) - it just seems odd that this particular number is not in the Blue Book.

Thank you for your offer, Paul. This will probably be another of those miscreant registrations filed under the wrong class, and I await the results of the search with interest.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 01:46:21 PM »
would seem I overelooked this one Fred  -  I knew there was something else you had posted and for which information was required, but obviously it slipped my mind when visiting Kew last week.          I will investigate when next I visit TNA  -  I see it's now on the Lookup list, and so hopefully this will remind me.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 01:48:33 PM »
sorry - shoved my note in the wrong place  -  grateful Anne will you please move to the thread to which this item refers.       Thanks.
signed muddled of Surrey.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 01:51:44 PM »
Done for you Paul. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 04:09:54 PM »
Yes, recorded under CLASS 4, which is quite possibly the reason for its absence from the lists.

Kew References are............  for the Representations  BT 52/1217......         for the Register  BT 53/53.

As you can see, J. C. Cottle were alloted four consecutive Registration Nos. on 14th April 1927 - two were certainly moulded decanters - Nos. 728812 and 728815 for which pix are provided here..........but it seems that images in the Representations book for 728813 and 728814 have been lost/mislaid.         Off hand I don't recall whether we've had pix of these missing ones on the Board previously, or not.            It's an intriguing situation to ponder.............if someone here does have pix, do we offer hard copies to TNA for their records, or would that be considered inappropriate?? (by them or us).
These missing Nos. might not be more moulded decanters, but I'd have thought it quite likely they were  -  pity the Register doesn't describe the item.

If a previously 'posted'  Registration No. is put into the Board's search, does it automatically come up?

See next post for remainder of pix.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand