No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: celtic vase - WEDGWOOD?  (Read 2002 times)

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
celtic vase - WEDGWOOD?
« on: April 23, 2006, 07:37:10 PM »
Hello again.
I left this strange vase out of my last board entry, :roll:  I don't think it is of very great shakes but you never know. It has a sort of celtic cross pattern and ribbed edges, with a flat textured base and stands at 4.25" tall. A friend had an identical vase some weeks ago and asked me my advice on it. I checked on many glass related sites and also my own considerable library without success and then found this one today.
Any ideas please.
http://i3.tinypic.com/w9uq6v.jpg
Thanks,
Bryn (not Brian)

"It's a minefield out there!" :mrgreen:

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
celtic vase
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 09:36:09 PM »
I am re-entering this post as I have seen this vase on Ebay this evening (just Listed) being discribes as being from Wedgwood and designed by Stennett-Willson, no less :!:
Here is the photo again as Tinypic has wiped the original:-
http://i14.tinypic.com/49hzk41.jpg

Can anyone confirm this, the seller is very adamant that it is and also offers guarantees that it is genuine. Personally I doubt it.
Can anyone confirm or deny please?
Thanks,

Bryn(not Brian)

"It's a minefield out there!" :mrgreen:  :wink:  :D

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
celtic vase - WEDGWOOD?
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 09:45:30 PM »
Bryn - have a look at my thread (link below) entitled - 'Definitely Wedgwood but is it a RSW?' - when I first saw your vase (before you mentioned Wedgwood and RSW) I thought there was a resemblance to my bowl in colour and design and, as you will see in Nigel Benson's reply to my post, he mentions a vase - it might be worth altering your message heading so that hopefully Nigel will see it and take a look.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,7835.0.html

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
CELTIC VASE - WEDGWOOD
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 10:07:04 PM »
Thanks Pip,
Yes, there is a similarity although my vase has a more Rustic finish. I do hope Nigel takes a look and I would be delighted if it is Wedgwood.

Thanks,
Bryn (not Brian)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
celtic vase - WEDGWOOD?
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 11:03:46 PM »
Hi Bryn,

Yes, the seller is quite correct. This is by Stennett-Willson, from the same textured range as in the other thread by Pip. It is from the textured range pattern number RSW 26 - Kings Lynn and Wedgwood.

You have to be a bit careful using the term Rustic with RS-W, since it applies to one of the ranges that he designed - but I fully understand your use to describe the vase :)

Hope that helps, Nigel

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
celtic vase - WEDGWOOD?
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 06:47:20 AM »
Thanks Nigel that is good news :D . With the use of the term rustic I was just referring to the fact that the pattern was much softer in my vase than Pip's bowl where the lines seemed to be much more defined and angular. I like them both very much.
Thanks again.
Bryn (not Brian)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand