No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pantin paperweights  (Read 3088 times)

Offline Nick77

• Members
Pantin paperweights
« on: March 20, 2013, 04:38:10 PM »
There doesn't seem to be tto much information about Pantin available, did they only make lamp work weights or are ther any known millefiori weights?

Nick

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Nick77

• Members
Re: Pantin paperweights
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 08:49:11 PM »
Further searching has found an article on the Illinois State Museums website that states an American delegate to the  Paris exposition of 1878, Charles Colne, reported of Pantin " the snakes, lizards, fruits, and millefiori amazed him in their skilled craftsmanship" .

So it seems they did make millefiori paperweights, does anyone know of any confirmed ones?

Nick

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 09:27:30 PM »

Hi Nick.

I don't know of any 100% confirmed Pantin millefiori.  I have seen suggestions of such pieces from Paul Dunlop, based on similarities between elements within the Pantin animal weights and canes in other weights with millefiori.

I believe that you should always keep an open mind about quotes from the 19th century which involve terms such as 'millefiori': exactly what did the person quoted think 'millefiori' meant? What it the same that we mean by it? We do not - and cannot -  know....and plenty of people use it in rather loose ways nowadays.  You only have to skim through eBay to see the term 'millefiori' misused in a number of ways.

That said, I would be surprised if Pantin had not attempted millefiori weights.  All the 19th century factories were in it for the money, not for any other reason - they were not studio artists.  If millefiori weights were selling, I bet they tried to make some. However, if theirs worked out too expensive to produce, or orders were not forthcoming, then they would have got on with more profitable activities.

Alan

Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 09:39:20 PM »
Hi Alan
This was my thinking too, that it would be surprising if they had not made millefiori weights especially since their contempories were making them in fairly large numbers. Do you have any info on where I can see these ones suggested by Paul Dunlop?

Nick

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 10:08:49 PM »

Hi Nick.

I know Paul discussed it in presentations at a Wheaton Village Paperweight Fest or a PCA Convention (I can't recall which at this moment), but I am sure I have seen something in a PCA Bulletin too. I'll scan through the past few years issues when I get chance, to see if I can find a reference.  I do recall that Paul has attributed to Pantin a paperweight with lampwork and millefiori that is shown in the Clichy book (image F page 376) - but I think the authors of the book (which include descendants of the Maes family, who owned the Clichy factory that made the paperweights) might not agree!

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 11:39:31 AM »
Further research has led me to acquire a Pantin trade catalogue from 1899 if its the right factory it's titled
             Verreries & Cristallerie de St Denis et de Pantin (Quatre Chemins) reunies
                                                    Le Gras et Cie.

Although on line history seems to say this partnership occurred after WW1.
If its the right factory (factories) then there are some very nice illustrations of enamelled and cameo glass vases etc, but paperweights are not listed at all sadly, so perhaps they were no longer being made or not considered a commercial product made in sufficient numbers to catalogue.

The search continues.....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand