No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Venetian brandy glass query  (Read 4539 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Venetian brandy glass query
« on: March 21, 2013, 02:29:40 AM »
Visited a antique shop today and noticed a brandy glass in the same turquoise colour and with the crown gold gilt pattern design as mine.  The height of mine is approx. 12.4cm.  I'm in two minds whether to buy it, as I am a bit concerned about the price label.   The brandy glass has a round blue label to the base support with the markings in gold marked San Marco, Murano. Here is picture of the label:

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?album=102&pos=48

Can anyone confirm that my brandy glass is by the same maker and can a date be put to this.  Thanking you in anticipation.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Venetian brandy glass query
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 07:12:32 AM »
Ttbomk these were made by Bormioli Rocco in Parma circa 1950s or 60s. The murano label is probably a retail label and quite misleading. Sure they were made in Italy. Just not in Murano....

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 07:32:10 PM »
Hi Ivo, I couldn't believe my eyes when I purchased the one that looks like mine today.   I was showing it to a friend whilst having coffee at a bistro.  The colour changed purple whilst in natural light, as can be seen by these pictures attached.    I did question the owner and she assures me that these are genuine Murano brandy Glasses, made in italy and that she frequently purchases Murano glass on her visits.  I only can take her word.  I've also included a picture of the label to assist you.  I've read some of the past threads on this site and currently not come across this type of label that maybe misconstrued as being what it shouldn't be.  Therefore if you have any evidence to substantiate your reasons, which I'm sure are genuine,  it would be interesting to know.   I don't really know a lot about brandy glasses and hope I have made that very clear, so will solely base your experience and knowledge as a step forward in finding out who actually made these.  I very much appreciate your concerns. :)  Oh! I must also tell you, that when I arrived home I decided to carry out the UV test. The concentrated areas were the colour is more visible, that is around the lower base area of the bowl and neck.  The colour changed to blood red.   This does not mean anything to me, but  maybe of some help to you.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 08:20:05 PM »
These are mechanically made in a large scale tableware plant in Parma - not in Murano, sorry.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 09:52:52 PM »
Your certainty has cast a shadow of doubt about some of the claimed Murano pieces being genuine and that's even with a label.  :o   If this is a retailers label they should be................................................... :-X.   Well at least I know now and that's what matters.   I will not be returning the one purchased today, that will add to my collection, but will definitely make the owner aware.   I think they are very attractive brandy glasses and visitors are amazed  not only in the style and pattern but also how they change when exposed to natural light.   They are very well 'mechanically' made, even though there is uncertainty to the quantity 'large scale...........' .    Meaning,.................... I am still struggling to find even one online during my research, considering they were only made in the 50's/60's.  It will be a good idea to check on Ebay etc..     Thank you ever so much for confirming this though.  I appreciate your help.  :)     

Offline MuranoArtGlassChandeliers

• Members
  • Italian Decor and Glass Lights website
    • Murano Glass plus Antiques
    • Australia
    • Murano Art Glass Australia
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 11:16:12 PM »
Hi Otis

The technique used here is called Smalti where enamels such as gold enamel are painted onto the glass surface giving you the pattern you have now.  Lovely pieces

Dean
Dean
CEO and Owner
Italian Decor Glass Lights
http://www.italiandecor-glasslights.com
salesandsupport@italiandecor-glasslights.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 02:06:48 AM »
Oh!   I have never heard of that technique before.   I will have to look this up.  I'm assuming that the gold painting applied  is not handpainted directly onto the glass bowl?  I'm just a bit confused on how this has been done, especially when you look at the patterns around the bowl area.   They all appear to be identical to some degree. 

Yes Dean, they are lovely pieces and and I am pleased that you admire them.  Thank you!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 11:24:17 AM »
It's highly likely that some sort of transfer was used. Possibly a "sticky" one for the gold to adhere too. Or even a stencil. Smalti also appears to refer to coloured glass paste for use in mosaics not to gilding!

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 08:27:07 AM »
Transfers did come to mind Christine and thank you for confirming this area of possibility.  Just had a look at the threads Ivo, which does support your theory.     Thanks to you all!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand