No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Are they Davidsons Luna or Whitefriars ??????  (Read 15271 times)

Offline Patrick

• Members
Are they Davidsons Luna or Whitefriars ??????
« on: April 24, 2006, 09:05:39 AM »
Hi, This " is it whitefriars " question started so well....... Then deteriated into total abuse !
http://www.whitefriars.com/isit_contents.php?pageNum_Recordset4=6&ID=3317
 Check it out.
 Regards Patrick.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 09:27:21 AM »
Hi Patrick,
First of all, I am not going to comment on the thread on this particular posting.....or any other for that matter, it wouldn't be proper not having been involved myself.

As for these vases, I get totally confused myself  :? , having only handled a finger vase (which is mine) and remembering my mum having a bark vase when I was a child.
There is another posting, Ref 3378, where the 2 vases shown, look identical, to me anyhow, to the vases now in question. Those are given as being Whitefriars.
I have scoured the catalogues and the 'Is It' section and could only find one picture of the base of a 'true' bark vase, I don't even know if the bases are similar.
I have 2, also similar, vases which are not Whitefriars, but if one looks through the catalogues, as always advised when someone posts, the sizes of mine are identical to those of one of the Whitefriars Bark vases.
As a lover of textured glass, but totally ignorant about the 'feel' of Whitefriars glass, I can see why people do get confused and misled.

Your question was however, are they Whitefriars? Quite honestly I dont know :oops:  :oops:  and they would have fooled me.
Are they Davidson Luna? No, I don't believe they are.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 10:09:16 AM »
I posted a query a few years back on "Is it Whitefriars?" re. some vases I thought could be Davidson's Luna or perhaps Whitefriars. I finally found the answer myself a couple of years later - they turned out to be Oberglas of Austria! That was a surprise.

I'm not saying the ones referred to here are Oberglas, of course - and frankly I know nothing about Whitefriars - but I thought I'd throw my own limited experience of "Is it Whitefriars?" into the melting pot.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 11:21:21 AM »
Another option, posted by our own Ivo a few days ago;

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,5134

:P  :P
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 11:40:30 AM »
WHILE we're on the subject

Can anyone confirm that this massive monster (21 cm / 8" across) is a Luna?

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 11:47:42 AM »
If you mean Davidson's Luna pattern, then I think definitely not.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 11:52:09 AM »
back to square one, then. :-)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 01:30:29 PM »
Ivo - I have a Luna pattern bowl.  The surface texture is different from yours and the glasss is considerably thinner too.  I like yours -  Swap? :lol:
Anne E.B

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 09:28:07 PM »
Hi DELTAB, Thanks for your comments, The 2 bark vases on http://www.whitefriars.com/isit_contents.php?pageNum_Recordset4=1&ID=3378 are definarley Whitefriars.... Very rare medium Sky Blue value circa 800.00 plus for the pair. I thaught you may be interested in the value incase you see any in this colour in you travels.. The smaller versions are worth evem more!   Regards Patrick.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 09:46:16 PM »
Hi Patrick,
Thanks for the information.
I didn't doubt for one moment that they are Whitefriars. I was just trying to explain that, for a novice, identification is very difficult. I have not yet found a site where there is a clear photo of the base, a photo from above or a close up of the pattern  :? . I do understand the frustration of the experts when these similar vases are posted again and again, but I also empathise with the novices when they are fooled into believing that they are purchasing a genuine Whitefriars article. Catalogues are wonderful for reference purposes, but again they show no pictures of bases etc.
I know I scoured the catalogues before I posted my vases on the Is It section, but everything, as far as I could see :oops:  :oops:  was in keeping with the sizes, colour etc. Fortunately, I bought mine for a euro and they wern't sold to me as anything other than a vase and at the time Whitefriars wasn't a sought after item. I bought them becasue I liked them. I still don't know who made them :roll: , but I am not too worried about it. :)

You never know, one day I may find one of the Sky Blue ones :wink:  :lol:  even here in Holland.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand