No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Are they Davidsons Luna or Whitefriars ??????  (Read 15349 times)

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2006, 04:33:54 PM »
Hi Della - ref. the photo of the two blue vases you have posted above. IMHO I do not think they are Whitefriars.

1) Don't know how tall yours are, but the average weight of my 6" bark vases (and I have just a few) is 750gm.

2) Colour - I know photos can distort the exact colour - but these do not look like a W/F Kingfisher blue to me, and neither are they the rare Sky Blue, which in any event are FLC (NO CLEAR CASING.)

3) Again, unless the angle of the photo is a bit off, they look disproportionally tall for their width/diameter.

Just my opinion.

However, if you didn't break the bank and you like them that's great.  Although I am a W/.F freak, I also just like interesting textured glass of any make, and buy that too.

PS Does ~Ingrid glas  ring any bells? Not sure if this has been mentioned, so sorry if I am repeating stuff.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Are they Davidsons Luna or Whitefriars ??????
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2006, 04:39:39 PM »
Okay, eveyone is fed and happy......for now at least.

Here goes with the new photos.

BaseFrom abovePattern
 :shock: Click to enlarge :shock:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2006, 06:08:44 PM »
Hi Emmi,
I don't for one minute doubt what you are saying. I have already been informed that they are not Whitefriars  :cry:  and I really do trust what I was told.
These are 7 1/2 inches tall and that is what made me believe, in the first instance, that they were, (before posting on Is It) at that time just having looked at the online catalogues and photos.
I have heard of Ingrid glass and I have some of that too, but I also don't think they are from there either. They are just too lightweight.
 :?  :? A conundrum, but nontheless, if me spending a few minutes making pictures helps novices that really do want to collect Whitefriars, they I have spent my time wisely :wink:  :lol:
My learning curve continues :D  :D
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2006, 07:53:03 PM »
The base has a flat outer rim with a textured effect is still present in the middle

Ahh you didn't tell me that !!!
I had assumed a flat polished base with or without a polished pontil - I'm not sure which is normal for this equivilant model.
Also 345g seems very light compared to WF.

I admit I thought they were Sky Blue and didn't realise that they were only produced in FLC

Personally, as they are not WF, I find them even more interesting !!!
I can't afford to be a WF fan in any case.
Pete

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2006, 08:12:49 PM »
:oops:  :oops: Sorry Peter, my fault and my apologies.

I find them interesting for the same reason. I never know if I will just come accross one with a label on one day.

I can't afford Whitefriars either, the one that I did get was purely by chance and only cost a few euros (pictured second photo, bottom row left.) I will make do with him for now. :lol:  :lol:

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2006, 09:04:51 PM »
Quote from: "Leni"
.... if it's so hard to tell them apart, what makes the Whitefriars ones so much better than the other makes?

I really did mean this as a serious question!  :shock:  

Anyone feel able to say?   :?
Leni

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2006, 09:09:59 PM »
I honestly don't know Leni. Maybe Emmi can answer that one.
It is probably the same as a family with twins, they can tell them apart, whilst others struggle for years to work out which is which,  :? even though each is an individual and probably very different.

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2006, 09:38:57 PM »
Well thanks a bunch for giving me the opportunity to answer the hardest question in earth!!  Can't you ask someone else!!! LOL  I think the "twins"  thing may just about be right.

When I first decided to concentrate on W/F I made many purchasing mistakes partly from my own ignorance and partly from "dealers" who thought they knew it all or were deliberately hoodwinking me,whatever.

I'll try and list a few things...
1) Colour. Important to get your "eye" in on at least recognising W/F colours even if the names of the colour escapes the brain.
2) Weight.  usually heavier than any look-a-like I've come across
3) Texture - W/F have a very distinctive texture on the INSIDE , almost like stacks of irregular shaped cushions, quite different from the bark effect on the outside.  I haven't got a Davidson to hand, but I know it's different.  Royale Castle on the inside is a vertical texture as well has having the distinctive "crimped" rim.
4) Overall a better feel and quality (but that may be in the eye of the beholder as far a sosme people think)

I'm sure  I am not telling you anything you don't know already, but point (3) I always find a good one to keep in mind.  Hope this helps.

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2006, 10:06:51 PM »
Leni,
As I tried to point out in previous response, its only hard to tell them apart from photos.  Physically side-by-side there would be no difficulty and no competition.
The more tactile qualities of many kinds of glass often fail to reveal themselves in even the best photos.
Pete

vidfletch

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2006, 11:57:36 PM »
Apart from the physical or visual differences between all these vases there is in most cases a huge difference in weight and quality compared to Whitefriars bark vases.

The other thing of course is the value but that's not Whitefriars fault of course! LOL!!!

Odd thing with a lot of Whitefriars glass is that it when it is Whitefriars it's obvious. Every so often though there are pieces that are so similar or obscure that it takes a bit of detective work.

A lot of early Baxter and pre-Baxter items can be very difficult to tell. They are just not as common.

Vidfletch :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand