No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Are they Davidsons Luna or Whitefriars ??????  (Read 15270 times)

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Are they Davidsons Luna or Whitefriars ??????
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 10:26:06 PM »
Della
The differences in photos is subtle unless you have a trained eye in which case the crimped rim is a dead give-away.

Once you have handled both WF and these the differences are absolutely clear. No pics of bases are needed.

It has been mentionned previously that in the Mistaken Identities section of www.whitefriars.com there are indeed many mistaken identities. These have arisen from the opinions of posters there whose focus is on Whitefriars. Anything less is inferior in quality whatever it is. Mistaken attributions take on a life of their own. Understandable but incorrect.

I agree with the poster who identified these as Royal Castle.

It's a pity that so many misunderstandings and animosities arose during that discussion. Happily we have been free from such here for quite some time. Long may that continue.
Pete

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2006, 10:34:39 PM »
It's a pity that so many misunderstandings and animosities arose during that discussion. Happily we have been free from such here for quite some time. Long may that continue.

Couldn't agree more. The virtiolic manner of some posters on wf.com leaves me staggered – I really cannot understand why it has descended to such a level.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2006, 10:38:52 PM »
Thanks Peter, much appreciated.
I am not sure as to whether the need for photos can be dispelled. From the one tiny photo that I have seen of a base, I would be have been able to discount the ones I have. So for someone who really would like to collect, that would be at least one pitfall out of the way.
Luckily, I just buy what I like, anything from Johansfors to Murano. The monetary value is of little interest to me. I only like identification for 2 reasons:

1. The knowledge gathered along the way, which leads to spotting a piece you already have, combined with the satisfaction after the frustration :twisted:  :lol:

2.When I die, my kids know what they are selling. 8)

We are a friendly bunch here....aren't we? :)
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2006, 11:30:52 PM »
Well lets see what you've got !
Pete

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 07:20:18 AM »
Quote from: "Peter"
Well lets see what you've got !

Ooh...err :wink:  :lol:

Do you mean the 2 vases which I thought were Whitefriars, or my glass collection?

If the latter, I will take some photos this afternoon. :D
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2006, 11:00:08 AM »
These are the 2 which I thought were. :oops:  :oops: This photo was taken with a cheap camera a good while ago, so quality not brilliant, but they can be seen on photo 2 below.

Here is a small amount of my collection:

:shock: Click to enlarge :shock:

I have lots more, Carnival and other stuff, but thought this would do for now. :)

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2006, 02:38:44 PM »
Yep I reckon you qualify as a fully-blown glasaholic fruit and nut case, Della. Welcome to the club !

and as to your Whitefriars wanna-be's ....well, I think they are !
Better pics / cloes-ups would help.......but
I cannnot see any crimping at the rim.
The color and texture look good.
I note that these are cased in clear which makes them more likely also although the rare ones posted at IIWF were FLC - no clear casing, I seem to remember.
The weight would be interesting to know and a tell tale sign but anyway
hopefully the WF experts can confirm, which I am not.
Pete

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2006, 03:09:13 PM »
I am most definitely a fruit and nut case........and a glassaholic of course :wink:

Unfortunately, the guys on Whitefriars already confirmed that they weren't a Baxter creation. At least I am not the only one to be fooled by these though :?  :?

As to weight, 345g each. The base has a flat outer rim with a textured effect is still present in the middle, but as I previously said, I have only ever seen one tiny (not very clear, unable to enlarge) photo of the genuine article.

I have to make tea now, but will try and take better photos later. :)

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2006, 03:25:28 PM »
Erm ...... tentatively, 'cos I know you all know I'm not keen on Whitefriars .... if it's so hard to tell them apart, what makes the Whitefriars ones so much better than the other makes?  :oops:

Please don't hit me!   :shock:
Leni

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2006, 03:48:25 PM »
Leni, I wouldn't dare hit you, or even contemplate it.
As to your question, Leni.......I haven't got a clue. I just bought these a good while ago, before I had even heard of Whitefriars. :oops:  :oops:
It is not Whitefriars the name that attracts me, just textured glass. It could be Walther, Alsterbro, Johansfors etc, or just plain unknown.
I don't think that there is much chance of finding out who made them, but the one posted by David E in another thread is of a similar shape when seen from above.
I am still in the middle of seeing to all and sundry, but will take better photos.
 :roll:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand