No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Are they Davidsons Luna or Whitefriars ??????  (Read 15294 times)

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
Are they Davidsons Luna or Whitefriars ??????
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2006, 07:46:49 PM »
Hi Lustrousstone,
Thanks for your comment - I just wanted to get them together, because there are so many influences going on. I have one of the Royal Castle/Ravenshead (as vidfetch has confimed) ones (somewhere at the back of a cupboard LOL!) I think the Kumela comes out rather well  :lol: a very under-rated producer IMHO (more ice/rock-cliff than bark 8)  ). I just wish I had one of the purple ones as well!

robbo
robbo

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2006, 09:44:22 PM »
Hi

There is a lot going on in this thread, Della posted some pictures (ref possible Ingridglas pieces) - and people were commenting so I threw in my two pennies :?

I can sort of see what people are asking, why is W/F so special, why are W/F bark vases so special?

Every single one is different – ‘The three part wooden pattern moulds lined with tree bark' (L Jackson pp89) were burned into by the glass and the bark lining mutated ready for the next vase.

That is what makes a bark vase - the use of bark/wood - this gives a very special, unique and natural feel to each piece.

The same can be said of the Finlandia vase by Timo Sarpaneva - The mould was scorched each time making a subtle difference to the next vase.

These vases using natural materials hold a special place in my heart compared to the mass produced copies which are all moulded the same.

I do like other textured vases, but technically speaking they are not bark.

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2006, 09:57:30 PM »
Hi Adam,

Not sure how, but I missed your reply.......sorry dear. :oops:

I have an Ingrid glass piece, it is heavy, thick and chunky (all sort of the same description I suppose :D ) My blue ones are actually quite delicate, but you still could be correct with you attribution.

I am not too worried about giving them a makers name, however, I still have NOT seen a photo of the base of a Whitefriars bark vase, maybe you can do the honours? :lol:

I know photos aren't always the answer, as there is more to it, but the more one is armed with information, the less mistakes will be made and fewer people will be misled.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2006, 10:24:59 PM »
No need to apologise Della, such a long thread with so many points of view.

I was kinda saying your blue vases (good photos) deserved an attribution - I have a had a closer look at pics in your files and you are right about the large green piece being Ingridglas, but you know that already - your blue vases do have a very thin rim and wall structure, never spotted that in the posted photos - I take back Ingridglas even though the slumped textural effect is similar.

I have W/F coffin vases but no actual straight sided bark vases till early next week.

eBay showing all aspects of a bark vase including base link

Can someone post a picture for this sweet lady - pewter or flint works best I feel, tangerine and ruby, etc. feed too much colour back.

I have tons of bark vase pictures, but none of the bases (yet I am sure I have taken some when the number sticker was still attached :? ) - mmmmm, I must store a few when I get some in.
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand