No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Barovier and Toso? swan on ashtray  (Read 1661 times)

Offline ardy

• Members
Barovier and Toso? swan on ashtray
« on: March 23, 2013, 06:00:43 AM »
HI All - getting bored and my glass is all packed away as we await the start of the new house.

I acquired this about 3 years ago and don't think I ran it by the team here. It is quite attractive but not something I would have bought had it not been part of the deal. Looks like B&T but I'm not sure and don't know much about them. I have not seen another one like it...

One wing on the swan came off when I got it home so I reattached it with glass glue and it works.

For some strange reason I packed away all of my A.Seguso stuff but this is out on  display so I thought I would check its authenticity with you.

BTW it came with a stamper? and it looks the same method of manufacture.

regards
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Barovier and Toso? swan on ashtray
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 01:28:36 AM »
Hi, Ardy. It looks like it could be B&T. I am never sure with these type pieces, since other companies did the cordonato d'oro look, also. The head fused to the neck is something I've seen for B&T. They would be my first guess, but I am far from sure.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 03:08:36 AM »
Hi Anita thank you for the reply. Not sure what to do with it as it was on display in our darkest display cabinet at our last house. It is an attractive thing and I do not plan on selling it - it is in a strange place, somewhere between the devil and the deep blue sea...
Archimede tops my list.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 03:12:07 AM »
I understand. After it is broken, it is hard to sell. It would have fetched a good price if it was damage free. The only thing now is to keep it or give it to a friend... either that or sell it for a very low price. It is a nice piece of glass, so worthy of someone's care.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 03:22:56 AM »
HI Anita it did not exactly break more like a wing came off where it was attached, so there is no cracks or chips etc. I suspect it was not attached properly to start with.

B&T made some wonderful glass and were so prolific but my yellow brick road is with A.S. and still looking for 3 expensive bits to round out the collection. One of them a double vase (I am after the triple) for sale on ebay  in the UK went for 890 pounds last week. This is the style I am after http://www.antiquehelper.com/item/326235 but there are more.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 03:28:50 AM »
That is lovely. I don't blame you for wanting one. I hope you're able to find one. I haven't seen one since this auction. The hammer price seems very low to me. They look like they would be rare, especially in good condition.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 07:01:02 AM »
Yes Anita - If I could pick up a triple Sea Foam one in great condition for $800 I would count that as a win. $1200 for a double even with the exterior cords seems a bit steep to me, but I may never see another one so maybe it is not so expensive.

The cost of everything is $0 and works up from there until it gets to what a buyer is prepared to pay.
Archimede tops my list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand